Delete and Backspace keys not working in Outlook (new thread)
Thread poster: Roy Simon
Roy Simon
Roy Simon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 12, 2010

Dear all,

Using Outlook 2003 together with Word 2003 as email editor, I have the extremely annoying Problam that my backspace and delete keys are not working in the Email-Header (where you type in the e-mail adresses). I use TRADOS 2007 Freelance.

I will qoute the complete problem description from the post linked below:... See more
Dear all,

Using Outlook 2003 together with Word 2003 as email editor, I have the extremely annoying Problam that my backspace and delete keys are not working in the Email-Header (where you type in the e-mail adresses). I use TRADOS 2007 Freelance.

I will qoute the complete problem description from the post linked below:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59062-delete_and_backspace_keys_not_working_in_outlook_2003_xp_sp2_after_sdl_trados_installation.html

"However, there is one problem I have not been able to get rid of and that is very annoying: the Delete and Backspace keys do not work when composing the headers of email messages using Outlook 2003 XP SP2 with Word as editor.

Searching the Internet I found a suggestion about the keys having been reassigned. I decided to check and, sure enough, in Word the EditClear command does not have Del as its corresponding key. Rather, the Delete key appears assigned to a TRADOS function. The exact message I get when I check this category and select the Del key to assign it to it is:

Currently assigned to: TemplateProject.tw4winProtection.tv

However, I must say that THE ONLY PLACE I have this problem is in the headers of the email messages. I am perfectly able to delete text using either Del or Backspace in Outlook messages )not headers) and in Word.

It is extremely upsetting not to be able to use Backspace or Delete in the email headers when composing addresses or subjects. I wish to follow the solution below and reassign the Del key to the EditClear but I am afraid if I do so, I would mess something in TRADOS. By the way, if someone knows what command corresponds to Backspace I would appreciate if you let me know because I would like to change that too. "

I currently use the Ctrl+Alt+P key to deactivate the Tag Protection - then my backspace and delete keys resume their function. Of course, this is hardly acceptable as a regular solution and I would excpect that Trados has come up with a bug-fix for this by now.

Is anyone aware of a solution to this issue (not a work around?).

Thank you and regards,
Roy Simon

[Edited at 2010-09-12 10:14 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:49
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If you are able to identify the key assignemnt Sep 12, 2010

so now I do not understand why you simply don't delete that?
When the keyboart shortcut is assigned to TemplateProject.tw4winProtection.tv and you do not want it, then remoce the key assignemt and the problem should go away.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Delete and Backspace keys not working in Outlook (new thread)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »