Cannot find Exclusive Mode in Trados 2007 FL
Thread poster: Dusan Rabrenovic

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 16:56
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

I wanted to delete some misplaced text fields, attribute fields and attribute values in my TMs, but the Delete button was greyed out. Uncle Google then advised me to turn on Exclusive Mode. Here's the trick now: I've turned my copy of Trados 2007 upside down and I can't find the damn checkbox! See attached File->Open... dialog, it just isn't there. I'm using Workbench 8.2.0.835 on Windows Vista.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Help file Sep 13, 2010

There are cases when Exclusive Mode is not enabled. You can find them in „Exclusive Access Mode” chapter of the Help file of Translator’s Workbench.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
FL opens TM in exclusive mode only Sep 13, 2010

The "exclusive mode" is standard for the freelance version of Trados. You can open a TM only in that mode.

Sorry, I missed the main point:
you cannot delete fields that have been created in a non-empty TM. You can add fields at any time, but not delete them.
Export the TM to text and delete the fields in the exported file. Or import the TM and remove all fields during the import.

[Edited at 2010-09-13 05:39 GMT]

Dusan Rabrenovic  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but problem still stands Sep 13, 2010

If FL has a permanent Exclusive Mode, then my copy has another undefined issue with not letting me delete the text/attribute fields and values. What else could it be?

Edit: Bleh. Hidden under a pile of rubbish in the Help documents was this gem:

Note: The Delete button is only available for use when the translation memory is empty. You can use it to delete an added field but cannot delete the default text and attribute fields. If the translation memory is not empty, the Delete button is grayed out.

That's that, I suppose. Don't play around with this fabulous function, or you're stuck with a list of useless attributes. Trados should really keep a simple list of used and unused fields to check whether these can safely be deleted (for example, 5 seconds after being created...)

[Edited at 2010-09-13 05:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot find Exclusive Mode in Trados 2007 FL

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search