https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/180196-studio_09_cannot_generate_target_translation.html

Studio 09: Cannot generate target translation
Thread poster: Mary Worby
Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:35
German to English
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me here!

I'm translating a project involving numerous Word files. Most are fine. Until I reached a file today which, having fully translated and reviewed, I wanted to prepare to send back to the customer. I tried 'finalising', which is my normal method, and got the error message that 'An error occured during a call to extension function 'MoveToNextSibling'. See InnerException for a complete description of the error'.

I get a simil
... See more
I'm hoping someone will be able to help me here!

I'm translating a project involving numerous Word files. Most are fine. Until I reached a file today which, having fully translated and reviewed, I wanted to prepare to send back to the customer. I tried 'finalising', which is my normal method, and got the error message that 'An error occured during a call to extension function 'MoveToNextSibling'. See InnerException for a complete description of the error'.

I get a similar message if I try 'saving as' target or 'generate target translation'.

I then tried opening the Word file in TTX and then processing that in Studio, with similar results. I've exported my TM and processed the entire file in TagEditor, and couldn't save the target text as the 'Tag structure is invalid' (although there are no tag errors).

I've sent the file to the customer and my TM export, and she has translated a Word file (in Trados 2007) using my TM, but this has omitted large sections of the text which are contained in embedded tables. At the moment, it looks like my only option is to translate the remaining tables by hand.

Does anyone have any other ideas I could try?

Many thanks
Mary
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:35
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Tables are not seldomly a problem in Word Sep 13, 2010

Try the following:
Open and repair the file in Word. When you go to Word and press CTRL+O the open file dialog appears. Select the file from there (NOT by double click) and instead of pressing the button open on the right bottom of the dialog window press the arrow pointing down beside that button and chose "open and repair". Save the file, try that one.
If not, try to store that one in a different Word format, i.e. 2003 instea
... See more
Try the following:
Open and repair the file in Word. When you go to Word and press CTRL+O the open file dialog appears. Select the file from there (NOT by double click) and instead of pressing the button open on the right bottom of the dialog window press the arrow pointing down beside that button and chose "open and repair". Save the file, try that one.
If not, try to store that one in a different Word format, i.e. 2003 instead of 2007 or vice versa and try that one.
If even that does not help, save file as rtf, close Word, reopen rtf and save as Word. Try again.
If not - take the Word (not the rtf one) file and open in OpenOffice - save as Word and try again.
Otherwise send me the file - info at czopik dot com.
Collapse

Mary Worby
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy Sep 13, 2010

I'll try those and report back! Thanks for your help ...

Mary Worby
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Saving as Word 2003 Sep 13, 2010

Jerzy, thank you very much! Saving as Word 2003 did the trick

I think I was attacking it from the wrong end - thinking of it as a Trados issue rather than a Word one!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 09: Cannot generate target translation

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »