Reading comments in Tag Editor
Thread poster: Fabienne Garlatti

Fabienne Garlatti  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:13
English to French
+ ...
Sep 13, 2010

Hi-I have received a file named *ttx.xml together with a ttx for review. This *ttx.xml file contains comments and is in the same folder as my ttx file. Pb is the translator's Tag Editor configuration seems to be different from mine (although we both have the Trados Tag Editor 7 version): I have no "Comments" option on Tag Editor's View menu, only "Messages", and, when selected, the bottom window supposed to display the messages/comments appears empty. (It displays several tabs including "Code", ... See more
Hi-I have received a file named *ttx.xml together with a ttx for review. This *ttx.xml file contains comments and is in the same folder as my ttx file. Pb is the translator's Tag Editor configuration seems to be different from mine (although we both have the Trados Tag Editor 7 version): I have no "Comments" option on Tag Editor's View menu, only "Messages", and, when selected, the bottom window supposed to display the messages/comments appears empty. (It displays several tabs including "Code", "Messages", "Tag", "Location", "Verifier", instead of "Comments" and "Verification Messages".) Any idea what's the issue here or how to access the added comments?
NB. Opening the xml itself works but contents is far from user-friendly.
Thanks so much in advance.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:13
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your TagEditor version is? Sep 13, 2010

Not all TE versions did support comments.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
we both... Sep 13, 2010

have the Trados Tag Editor 7 version

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reading carefuly is always a good option Sep 14, 2010

Sorry, I missed that in your first posting.
TBH I do not remember TagEditor version 7 and its features clearly enough to be sure how it was with comments. But if commenting is possible on one side, reading those must also be possible on the other side.
From what you say everything seems to be allright - the ttx file and the comment file must be in same folder. And this is all I know.

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
What Windows version? Sep 14, 2010

For some reason, I didn't manage to get the Comments to be displayed on Windows 7.
But as I have a dual boot I could just reboot into Windows XP and then open the files correctly.

Though, I have to admit that I haven't been using that function very often, so I don't know if it was a problem with that specific file or if it is a common problem with Trados 7 on Windows 7.

I've set up my system so that I have my work files and mail files on partition D, so it doesn't
... See more
For some reason, I didn't manage to get the Comments to be displayed on Windows 7.
But as I have a dual boot I could just reboot into Windows XP and then open the files correctly.

Though, I have to admit that I haven't been using that function very often, so I don't know if it was a problem with that specific file or if it is a common problem with Trados 7 on Windows 7.

I've set up my system so that I have my work files and mail files on partition D, so it doesn't matter which OS I start up with - I always use the same path to the mail folders and work folders. The System partition that isn't active defaults to partition E. It's a useful setup as it simplifies changing between Windows versions and makes it easier to do backups.
Collapse

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Pb occurs under Windows Vista Home Premium Sep 16, 2010

Thanks Jerzy and Ulf for your answers. My version is Windows Vista Home Premium. Tried to place both files (the ttx file and the xml comments file) in the TT folder. To no avail. I keep looking...

BeCrystalClear  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Bump Aug 16, 2011

Hi Fabienne and others,

Is there any progress on this? I'm faced with exactly the same problem as described in your first post (although my OS is Windows XP)...

Thanks!

[Edited at 2011-08-16 06:59 GMT]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi xxx, Aug 16, 2011

I didn't find a solution at the time* other than working with screenshots of the translator's comments and trying to guess where they pointed at in the text. I have now upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium but after checking that same file with comments, it doesn't change anything: I still don't have a Comments option in Tag Editor's View menu. It must be linked to the Tag Editor version itself.
*This dates back to September 2010.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Reading comments in Tag Editor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search