Where to find translation memories?
Thread poster: rastacanaja

rastacanaja
Local time: 20:24
Sep 14, 2010

Hi everybody! I`m a very beginner with the use of Trados 2009 and I would like to know if it is possible to download from the internet any translation memory that I can import into this software. Specifically I need a Chinese-English-Italian translation memory. I must say I am able to use only the very basic functions of Trados and so I would like to import an already existing translation memory in order to learn how to use it better. Thanx everybody!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aligner Sep 14, 2010

rastacanaja wrote:
I would like to know if it is possible to download from the internet any translation memory that I can import into this software.

You must create your own translation memories, using a procedure called "alignment". Does Trados have a built-in aligner?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sharing CATs, a potential violation of customer privacy rights Sep 14, 2010

When discussing the shared use or purchase of translation memories, and whenever you are offered the service, you must make sure the supplier sends you a letter in which he/she/they state that the memory is not attached to any non-disclosure or copyright with third parties. Otherwise, you could end up participating in a dangerous infringement of other people's rights on translations.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Maybe try these Sep 14, 2010

rastacanaja wrote:

Hi everybody! I`m a very beginner with the use of Trados 2009 and I would like to know if it is possible to download from the internet any translation memory that I can import into this software. Specifically I need a Chinese-English-Italian translation memory. I must say I am able to use only the very basic functions of Trados and so I would like to import an already existing translation memory in order to learn how to use it better. Thanx everybody!

Hi rastacanaja,

No Chinese here, but you can find English to Italian here as part of the European Commission's Directorate-General for Translation (DGT) publicly available material;

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

You can get Chinese here from here (amongst many others) as part of the OPUS project;

http://urd.let.rug.nl/tiedeman/OPUS/KDE4v2.php

I believe these are all freely (and legally) available but as Tomás says, good to check first with others. You can create your own as you go of course, but these large freely available TM's will at least allow you to have a play with some substantial data which is always useful as you become more experienced.

Regards

Paul

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
A bit more focus wouldn't hurt Sep 14, 2010

rastacanaja wrote:

Specifically I need a Chinese-English-Italian translation memory.

First of all, you don't really need and usually can't have a three-way TM, especially not with such wildly differing languages. You either need Ch-En and Ch-it, or Ch-En and It-En, or Ch-It and En-It. They will likely come from different sources.
Second, there is not much point in procuring general TMs unless you really know what you're doing. I could give you an En-It TM with about 3 million TUs quite easily if I really wanted to, but all that would do is bring your computer to its knees and flood you with a massive number of useless hits you couldn't process. Decide what your areas of specialization are and collect reference material (TMs, dictionaries, glossaries) in those fields, preferably from reliable sources, preferably from your actual clients.

[Edited at 2010-09-14 10:39 GMT]

rastacanaja
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx! Sep 15, 2010

Thanx everybody for the great help I`ll try to make the best of it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to find translation memories?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search