Exporting comments in Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: Rick Janssen

Rick Janssen
Netherlands
Local time: 21:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 14, 2010

Hi,

I'm quite new to TRADOS 2009, and I was wondering if it's possible to export comments I added in the editor to a seperate file or to an extra column of the translated Excel file? I need to compile a Q&A file for my client, which should at least contain the source text, my translation and the comment for each string I have a question about.

Is it possible to do this automatically, or do I really have to copy each string individually from the editor?

Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Bilingual Preview Generator Sep 14, 2010

Hi Rick,

SDL offers a Trados add-on that might help: Bilingual Preview Generator . It requires Office 2007 or later to work, so in case you have Office 2007 or 2010 installed, you could give it a try. Unfortunately, several months after launch, it is still in beta stage, so it does not always work as expected. I
... See more
Hi Rick,

SDL offers a Trados add-on that might help: Bilingual Preview Generator . It requires Office 2007 or later to work, so in case you have Office 2007 or 2010 installed, you could give it a try. Unfortunately, several months after launch, it is still in beta stage, so it does not always work as expected. I couldn’t use it even if I had Office 2010 (beta) installed on my computer. A colleague reported here that the application didn’t process the files although he had Office 2007 on his computer.

If Bilingual Preview Generator doesn’t work for you, there is a workaround. You could install a trial version of memoQ, import the sdlxliff file and then export it as a two column file. The comments would be exported as well. I don’t remember exactly what the name of the feature was, but it worked without any problems and it didn’t require to have Office 2007 or later installed. Please note that feature would stop working after the trial expires (45 days).
Collapse

Rick Janssen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 14, 2010

Thank you so much for your reply, I will try both your suggestions. Funny thing is I have a MemoQ license and use the program frequently, but I didn't even know it had this feature.

I'll let you know if it worked!

Agree Sep 14, 2010

Mihai, that was exactly what I used to do when I wanted a sound bilingual file. MemoQ is a very good program.

The Preview Generator worked only for a few days without any problems, but then I started getting the annoying message that word 2007 or later should be installed.

The good thing about MemoQ is that you can also import the comments back to the translation (original file) plus the program recognizes that the file is the same and ask if you want to update the any
... See more
Mihai, that was exactly what I used to do when I wanted a sound bilingual file. MemoQ is a very good program.

The Preview Generator worked only for a few days without any problems, but then I started getting the annoying message that word 2007 or later should be installed.

The good thing about MemoQ is that you can also import the comments back to the translation (original file) plus the program recognizes that the file is the same and ask if you want to update the any changes that might have been made. Then the status of the updated row would change from "confirmed" to "to be reviewed" or something like that (do not remember the correct name now).

Good luck.

...I hope Trados Studio 2009 SP3 have the Preview Generator fixed and available in the editor's view! Have no idea what to expect for.

[Editada em 2010-09-14 14:09 GMT]
Collapse

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (1970)
English
A sneak preview then Sep 14, 2010

We are working on an enhanced version through the Open Exchange that will work without Office installed at all and will be able to import changes back. We'll be testing it this month and will release soon after.

The current tool exports to Word, Excel or XML so if you wanted to have the comments in an extra column of an Excel spreadsheet then this is also possible.

I do have access to a version of the tool that should avoid problems of Office being asked for when it's
... See more
We are working on an enhanced version through the Open Exchange that will work without Office installed at all and will be able to import changes back. We'll be testing it this month and will release soon after.

The current tool exports to Word, Excel or XML so if you wanted to have the comments in an extra column of an Excel spreadsheet then this is also possible.

I do have access to a version of the tool that should avoid problems of Office being asked for when it's already there so if you try it, and you do see this problem, report back and I'll make it available.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-09-14 14:55 GMT]
Collapse

Rick Janssen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, please! Sep 14, 2010

Hi Paul,

That would be great, thanks. I just tried the tool and I got the same error message (that it doesn't run without Office 2007, which I do have installed - and reinstalled, to make sure). So if you can make the new version available to me, that would be great.

I also tried the MemoQ workaround. Importing the sdlxliff file did work, however without the comments, and consequently the comments didn't export to the two-column file. Maybe I overlooked something?
... See more
Hi Paul,

That would be great, thanks. I just tried the tool and I got the same error message (that it doesn't run without Office 2007, which I do have installed - and reinstalled, to make sure). So if you can make the new version available to me, that would be great.

I also tried the MemoQ workaround. Importing the sdlxliff file did work, however without the comments, and consequently the comments didn't export to the two-column file. Maybe I overlooked something?

Thanks to all for your help.
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster requested deletion, due to problem having been solved.

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:23
German to English
+ ...
Trados Studio: No preview available Apr 13, 2011

Dear all,

I've read previous posts about this problem, but they seemed to suggest that I should either download an add-on (which I wasn't able to do) or uninstall the click to run version of Office, which I don't even have.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Yesterday, I opened a sample project in Studio and the preview version worked fine, but today when I received an actual job from the same customer the preview didn't work and I was told that I needed 2007
... See more
Dear all,

I've read previous posts about this problem, but they seemed to suggest that I should either download an add-on (which I wasn't able to do) or uninstall the click to run version of Office, which I don't even have.

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for me. Yesterday, I opened a sample project in Studio and the preview version worked fine, but today when I received an actual job from the same customer the preview didn't work and I was told that I needed 2007 or 2003 to be installed. In actual fact, I have the full version of Office 2010, which is supposed to work seamlessly with Studio too. Does anyone have any idea why I wouldn't be able to see a preview in this project, but why it worked fine in the previous sample fine. Do I need to do anything on my end and if so what?

Thank you in advance.

Sarah Downing
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting comments in Trados Studio 2009?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search