workflow options for Trados-segmented MS Word files
Thread poster: Antoní­n Otáhal

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 06:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

When my customer wants a "Trados segmented Word file" translation (the original and Trados tags as hidden text in a Word , the translation non-hidden), my approach is:

1. Create a segmented Word file - it can be done using Trados up to the 2007 version, or in other ways (I prefer MemoQ, but there may even be some free options out there?)

2. Translate the unhidden text. I prefer creating (and completing, of course) a Tansit project for it, but there must be many ways to achieve this goal, perhaps even SDLT 2009 might be able to it?

It may seem a bit over-complicated process, but I quite like the Trados segmented Word files (for example, they are suitable to be sent to proofreaders who do not own any CAT tool and do not want to hear about them) but I do not like the actual translating processs with the aid of the Trados Workbench+ MS Word combo, it is unpleasant and hard to accomplish due to formatting and other (more or less well-known) problems.

Perhaps you can comment on this workflow and/or recommend other ways...

If at all possible, I'd like to get technical advice, not another CAT-war.

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:27
French to Polish
+ ...
Two sound comments and a flame war :) Sep 15, 2010

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

When my customer wants a "Trados segmented Word file" translation (the original and Trados tags as hidden text in a Word , the translation non-hidden), my approach is:

1. Create a segmented Word file - it can be done using Trados up to the 2007 version, or in other ways (I prefer MemoQ, but there may even be some free options out there?)

IMO it's the most sound way to presegment in Trados.
Although you can do it with other tools, the segmentation may slightly differ (e.g. Trados has an undocumented hardcoded list of exceptions for some languages.
It was discussed here but I don't remember the topic.

2. Translate the unhidden text. I prefer creating (and completing, of course) a Tansit project for it, but there must be many ways to achieve this goal, perhaps even SDLT 2009 might be able to it?

Yes, it can be done in Studio but:
- you must apply a different formatting for Trados styles (when tw4win styles are detected in the document, Studio refuses to process it)
- the TM used for the presegmentation must be empty (the target must match exactly the source because Studio will read the target as source).
See a more detailed procedure at:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/176231-switching_halfway_through_a_translation_from_2009_to_2007.html
IMO it makes no sense to use Studio for this kind of files if you already have a CAT which handles it better out of the box.

It may seem a bit over-complicated process, but I quite like the Trados segmented Word files (for example, they are suitable to be sent to proofreaders who do not own any CAT tool and do not want to hear about them)

For this kind of proofreaders, I can't but recommend the bilingual RTF table export from DVX or (better) memoQ, it's less dangerous when the proofreader makes some errors in the document structure (hidden text, tags etc.).

but I do not like the actual translating process with the aid of the Trados Workbench+ MS Word combo, it is unpleasant and hard to accomplish due to formatting and other (more or less well-known) problems.

Perhaps you can comment on this workflow and/or recommend other ways...

IMO it's the most sound way at our level.
But I can imagine some automated workflow based on a bunch of servers and a free TMS like http://www.globalsight.com

If at all possible, I'd like to get technical advice, not another CAT-war.

Well, you started it
Everything is better than Trados Workbench + MS Word combo

Cheers
GG

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

workflow options for Trados-segmented MS Word files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search