Thread poster: Kjersti Farrier

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 15, 2010

Hi,
is it possible to convert a .ttx (bilingual) file to a target .txt/.rtf/.doc wihout having the original source file? I was given two .ttx files to translate. One was generated from a .rtf file and the other from a .doc file.
The .rtf.ttx file I translated (with TRADOS 2009) and used Trados Workbench to convert back to an .rtf file - good for proofreading. However I cannot do this with the .doc.ttx file. I need the original Word doc by the looks of it. I can see the target file all nice and neat in TRADOS TagEditor, but how can I save it or print it? I need to do proofreading on it and prefer to have it printed.

I have requested an original file from the client, but as my agent is in US there may be an issue with time difference...

Please please help!

Many thanks,
Kjersti

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:29
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Two methods Sep 15, 2010

I understand that you want to proofread the *.doc.ttx file rather than create the target file to submit to the client. You can do this in 2 methods:
1. Open *.doc.ttx file in Notepad to proofread and save back.
2. Use a special template TTXpress.dot in Word to open and proofread and save back as *.doc.ttx file. This template is a freeware, downloadable through Internet search.
Send the file after proofreading back to the client.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:29
German
+ ...
Not possible Sep 15, 2010

Sorry. This requires the original .doc file.

You can, however, try highlighting the contents of the target preview pane, copying them to the clipboard using the Ctrl+C shortcut and then pasting them in Word for printing. You won't be able to do the reverse, i.e. copy the proofread file into TagEditor, though.

HTH,

Benjamin

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Open *.doc.ttx file in Notepad ??? Sep 15, 2010

here is part of the content of my last .doc.ttx file

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs337.ash2/61763_1619490249992_1318491942_1718376_5391892_n.jpg

quite indigestible to me ...

Claudio

[Modificato alle 2010-09-15 20:42 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:29
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Yes, many tags Sep 16, 2010

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

here is part of the content of my last .doc.ttx file

quite indigestible to me ...

To edit a TTX file as text in Notepad and other text editors, you need to pay attention to special tags. In your sample file above, edit only between tags "*TUV Lang=IT-IT**df Font="Arial"* and "*/df*". [Please replace * with the smaller and larger marks, HTML page cannot display here correctly]. You need to remember where the target language segment is. Also prevent unintentional deletion of tags.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not possible... Sep 16, 2010

I'm affraid that is not possible (or I never found a way to do it). You need the original to dump the TTX to it.

Kjersti Farrier  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:29
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Used TagEditor Sep 16, 2010

Thank you for all the response!
I ended up using TagEditor in bilingual mode, minimised the tags as much as possible. I didn't have the need to edit the file, any changes I needed I just did in TRADOS 2009 (and then just created a new .ttx file once all my proofreading was done and I was happy with it all). That worked for it's purpose.

I started thinking though after your responses and wondered whether it is possible to create a original file from the source .ttx file??? Then you can do deal with the bilingual .ttx file afterwards.

Btw, copy and paste don't work - it copies source text and tags as well, even though you don't see it in the view (only the target)!

Thanks

Kjersti

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Convert .ttx file to .txt/.rtf/.doc without original Sep 16, 2010

a possible way can be to preview the target file in your Browser with TRADOStag Viewer Plug-in, choosing the html or TableView Stylesheets

then you can easily copy-paste the text in a .txt file

Claudio

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
Proofing InDesign TTXs in Word Sep 17, 2010

Although I haven't tried this with doc.ttx files, it'd be worth a try.

Just copy all text in the target colum in the Editor view and paste it into an empty Word file. For InDesign TTXs, there will be additional line breaks between sentences and paragraphs (which isn't a bad thing when proofing), but no visible tags.

Carmen Álvarez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Convert ttx to docx Mar 4, 2012

Hello, sorry if my question is stupid, but I have the original docx file and also a ttx. Now I need to convert back the ttx to docx (I am doing this because Trados changed all my fonts in the docx file translated).
I can't find a tool in Translators Workbench (Trados 2007) to do that. Where is it?

Thanks.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Either use cleanup or Mar 4, 2012

Save target as in TagEditor.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert .ttx file to .txt/.rtf/.doc without original

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search