Where is the central directory?
Thread poster: Peter Nicholson

Peter Nicholson  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:49
Polish to English
Sep 17, 2010

I want to open a package in Studio 2009. The package I am trying to open is a sample package (.sdlppx), prepared for training purposes. When I try to open it, I get an error message which reads: Cannot find central directory.

Can anyone tell me what the central directory is and where I should look for it?

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Who prepared the package? Sep 17, 2010

Unfortunately more knowledge would be necessary to diagnose your problem.
But if you refer to the Sample project delivered with Studio, you open it either via Open project menu or via double click on sdlproj file.

Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I can open projects Sep 17, 2010

Thank you, Jerzy, for your input. Studio opens projects for me perfectly, but I want to open a package.

It doesn't particularly matter that I can't open this particular package, but what if a client sends me one? Is the central directory a part of the programme itself, or is it a part of each package? The package which I have may just be corrupt. It came from a trainer, but I don't think anyone else had problems opening it - just me.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no central directory in the program AFAIK Sep 17, 2010

And you should be able to open any project package send by someone else.
You cannot open packages created on your own machine (provided you can create them, which is not possible in Freelance version).
However, if the trainer has the coming SP3 version of Studio, this causes problems.
Otherwise I would need to send you another training package to test if evertyhing is allright.
If you wish to try please contact me off-site via jerzy at czopik dot com

Poland
Polish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I have opened the package Sep 18, 2010

Thank you so much, Jerzy, for your offer of help. However, in the meantime I have obtained another copy of the same package, and this one opens perfectly. I suppose the first version was just corrupted in some way.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Great to know it works Sep 18, 2010

Indeed it was what I supposed. Usually you may get a notice that a main translation memory is not available and the project one will be used instead or some messages regarding missing termbases (if missing, of course), but the package will open either way.

Should you need any other help just let me know.
If you are interested in training, there will be one offered in Warsaw this year in cooperation with our colleague Maciej Andrzejczak. The begnner day is on November 20th and the advanced one on November 21st.* If you are interested in participating drop a line please to szkolenia at proverba dot pl

Best regards
Jerzy

* Program is not finalised yet and subject to change

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where is the central directory?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search