What should I choose for "Export files to the following location" in "Projects Settings"?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2010

What should I choose for "Export files to the following location" in "Projects Settings"?

Project settings/Export files to the following location:
File version to export: Target version, Latest bilingual version, Current version.

I had already chosen to save to my external HDD when I created the whole project in the first place, and have these folders and files on my external HDD:

en-US (folder)
File Types (folder)
Reports (folder)
sv-SE (folder)
Tm (folder)
IT and technology, English-Swedish.sdlproj (the project file)

However, when I opened Project Settings now, the default "Export files to the following location" is set to "C:\Documents and Settings\MyName\My Documents\Export Files".

And what file version should I export?: Target version, Latest bilingual version, or Current version?
What's the difference between these?

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 20:39
French to German
+ ...
All the files are in the project folder Sep 18, 2010

Fredrik

When you create a project, Studio creates a project folder which is stored in the path you indicated when you created the project. The subfolders of this project folder contain the source files, the bilingual versions of these files as well as the project TM (in case you have one), the filetype defintions, reports, etc.

When you finished your translation and finalize the project, Studio will in addition create the target files in these subfolders.
The function 'Batch tasks - Export files' allows you to export (copy) these files to another folder of your choice. This has been done to allow you to put the target files in the folder of your choice, which for many users is not the project folder, but another, usually customer or project specific folder.

On the other hand, you can also - and this is usually the easier approach - use the command 'File - Save as Target' from within the Editor to save your translation as this command will allow to enter both the destination folder and the name of the target file.

Walter

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search