Should I confirm pure placeables in Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2010

I'm translating a user manual from English into Swedish and one part of the manual contains lots of numbered menu items for the electronic device. For instance, 1 [Play/Pause].

Concerning the pure placeables, the numbers, do I need to change status or anything, like I did when I created the project I could change files to "Translateable" or "Reference"? Or won't I need to do anything, just write the same number in the target segment?

Concerning the menu items on the electronic device: [Play/Pause] is what the user actually will se on the device when he uses it. Following [Play/Pause] is a functional description of what this menu item is used for. So I wonder if I need to translate [Play/Pause] at all?

It will be a little messy if I would write a short translation for each menu item and the translation will anyway be "embedded" in the functional description that follows immediately afterwards: "Tryck för att starta eller pausa uppspelningen på..."
(the translation is embedded: Play corresponds to starta and Pause corresponds to pausa).

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:27
French to German
+ ...
A lot of questions ... and not really CAT-related Sep 18, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

I'm translating a user manual from English into Swedish and one part of the manual contains lots of numbered menu items for the electronic device. For instance, 1 [Play/Pause].

Concerning the pure placeables, the numbers, do I need to change status or anything, like I did when I created the project I could change files to "Translateable" or "Reference"? Or won't I need to do anything, just write the same number in the target segment?

The status 'Translateable' and 'Reference' you mention define the 'file usage' of an entire document in your project, they have nothing to do with the status of a segment in the Editor! Besides, confirmation is done on the level of an entire segment and not of a placeable only.

Concerning the menu items on the electronic device: [Play/Pause] is what the user actually will se on the device when he uses it. Following [Play/Pause] is a functional description of what this menu item is used for. So I wonder if I need to translate [Play/Pause] at all?

It will be a little messy if I would write a short translation for each menu item and the translation will anyway be "embedded" in the functional description that follows immediately afterwards: "Tryck för att starta eller pausa uppspelningen på..."
(the translation is embedded: Play corresponds to starta and Pause corresponds to pausa).

This is a basic question that you should discuss with your client. It also depends on whether the device displays the commands only in English or has a Swedish user interface.

Walter

Shripal Sharma
India
Local time: 01:57
Member (2009)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Numbers Status Sep 18, 2010

There is no need to change Numbers Status.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:27
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Confirming of segments with just placeables Sep 18, 2010

in fact if you do not confirm those, your translation will take longer. When you confirm them, Studio will insert them as autopropagated segments and you can set Studio to confirm those at once - you will save time. However, OTOH you will have those segments in TM then.
Your decision or the decision of your customer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search