How do I merge two target segments into one but keeps the two source segments intact in Studio?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2010

How do I merge two target segments into one but keeps the two source segments intact in Studio?

I will translate the two source segments into one target segment. Usually, to merge or split I need to place the cursor in the source segment and choose merge or split in the popup-menu that I get by right-clicking. However, there is no such alternative when I right-click in the target segment.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:26
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
I don't think you can Sep 18, 2010

Sometimes if the word order means that 2 source segments don't make sense in the target language, I enter the whole thing in the first target segment and put a space or some easily searchable combination of letters in the second segment (and delete it later in my translated document).

But make sure these segments don't get saved to your TM because they are not correct as independent segments.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Right-click and select 'Merge segments" Sep 18, 2010

To merge segments, you need to select first the segments you want to merge by clicking on the first segment in the number column, then holding down the SHIFT key and clicking on the second/last segment of the selection. The selected segments will then be highlighted in yellow. Now, right-click (without moving he mouse out of the number column!) and select 'Merge Segments". This will merge the two (or more) segments into one.

Note however that you cannot merge segments across a paragraph boundary (in that case the command will be grayed out). Currently, Studio does not allow to merge paragraphs.

Walter

P.S.: I suggest that you attend some basic training on Studio, either by following a webinar or even better - a classroom training. This will help you to get to grips with this new software and you will not need to rely so heavily on this forum.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
note on merging sergments Sep 18, 2010

Of course Walter is right about merging segments, but you cannot do this on one side (either source or target) and keep the other side split, which appears to be what you would like to do?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search