What do I do with an extra source segment that shouldn't be there?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2010

Somehow, when I created the project file to be translated, there was a segment that was duplicated. I have a www.something.com in segment 100 and then the same www.something.com in segment 101 (it's an URL that has been duplicated).

Should I Change segment status or Lock segment so that the QA later doesn't get stuck on this?
Or better, can I remove it? How can I remove a source segment? Or modify a source segment directly in the Editor in Studio?

Otherwise, I have to change status (Sign-off Rejected or Signed Off or Not Translated), or I have to Lock Segment. But what are the difference between these statuses?

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:41
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Unprotect source segments Sep 19, 2010

"Or better, can I remove it? How can I remove a source segment? Or modify a source segment directly in the Editor in Studio?"

In my cases, select the Unprotect source segments option in Studio Editor and replace the segment with space etc. to delete after cleaning the file. Write comments of this problem on the file during translation.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 07:41
French to German
+ ...
Do NOT delete the "real" URL! Sep 19, 2010

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:

Somehow, when I created the project file to be translated, there was a segment that was duplicated. I have a www.something.com in segment 100 and then the same www.something.com in segment 101 (it's an URL that has been duplicated).

Be careful, if segment 101 contains only a URL, it is probably the real URL (field), whereas the one in segment 100 is only the display text of the URL. Check the structure information (last column) of segment 101. If it reads 'FPR+', the segment 101 contains the translatable content of the URL field in segment 100 and you do need to keep this segment, otherwise you'll be in trouble. It should actually be translated automatically by Studio and show the blue 'AT' icon in the status column.

Remember that a web address always has two sides, the visible one (the address that is displayed) and the hidden one (the real URL that is being used by the browser). They usually are identical, but they don't necessarily need to be. This is the mechanism used by hackers to get you to connect to a fake website: they send you an email with the text "Go to www[dot]citibank[dot]com" and when you click on the link, the browser accesses a web page at 'hacker352.pirateserver13.ru' for example.

As a general rule, always have an eye on the structure information column to see if the segment does not simply contain translatable content extracted from the previous segment. Studio automatically extracts translatable contents between tags and wraps it in a separate segment so that you can easily translate it. When the document is converted back to source format, this content is put back into the right place. This is one of the new and nice features of Studio. A classical example of this is the footnote in Word, where the first segment will only contain the tag to call the footnote and the next segment will contain the text of the footnote (flagged as FPN+ in the structure column).

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Where do you see an option to "unprotect source segments"? Sep 19, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:
In my cases, select the Unprotect source segments option in Studio Editor and replace the segment with space etc. to delete after cleaning the file.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Could you please tell me where you found this option? I am not aware that one can modify the content of source segments at this point in time in Studio. This is a feature request that we have made to SDL, but it has not been implemented yet AFAIK.

Walter

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
hyperlinks Sep 19, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Remember that a web address always has two sides, the visible one (the address that is displayed) and the hidden one (the real URL that is being used by the browser).

Well, a link (hyperlink) does. In plain text, for example, you only get the URL (address) itself.
Walter Blaser wrote:
They usually are identical, but they don't necessarily need to be. This is the mechanism used by hackers to get you to connect to a fake website: they send you an email with the text "Go to www[dot]citibank[dot]com" and when you click on the link, the browser accesses a web page at 'hacker352.pirateserver13.ru' for example.

Yes, and, more to the point, this is the mechanism that allows you to just write things like hyperlink in your document instead of displaying the full URL, which can be really long and look weird and ugly in text.

[Edited at 2010-09-19 09:06 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search