Thread poster: Geale de Vries

Geale de Vries  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 12:57
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 18, 2010

I have bought a new computer which has Windows 7 installed.
So far I have been struggling to get Trados to work on my new computer and I would like some advice as to which combination of operating system, Office and Trados I should opt for.
I have Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 'at hand'.
I have a licence for Trados Studio 2009 and for Trados 2007 Freelance (Version 8.2.0.835).
So far I haven't used Studio 2009. I bought an upgrade to Studio 2009 because one of my main clients announced that they were going to shift to this version.

Until now I have used Windows XP with Office 2003 and Trados 2007.

My questions are as follows:
1. Which combination (Trados - Office) do you recommend for my new computer?

2. Will Studio 2009 run problem free under Windows 7?

3. I am tempted to start using Studio 2009 - because that seems to be the future.
Which Office version should I use then? I know that Studio 2009 no longer works directly in Word, so maybe it doesn't really matter?

4. When I use Studio 2009, will I still be able to service customers who require older versions of Trados? I have many clients who work with customer-based TM's - will I still be able to import these TM's and deliver exports in the 'old' format when using Studio 2009?

Any other advice on this issue is welcomed!

Direct link Reply with quote

Michał Tosza  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Watch out for Office 2010 Sep 18, 2010

My questions are as follows:
1. Which combination (Trados - Office) do you recommend for my new computer?

Office 2007 and Trados 2007/2009 work just fine.

2. Will Studio 2009 run problem free under Windows 7?

Yes. In both 32- and 64-bit version

3. I am tempted to start using Studio 2009 - because that seems to be the future.
Which Office version should I use then? I know that Studio 2009 no longer works directly in Word, so maybe it doesn't really matter?

Do not use Office 2010, as (in Polish) I have no access to spell checking from Trados. The workaround is to export to any Office format (DOC/DOCX), perform spell checking there and implement every change manually in Trados.

Studio does not use Word's interface during translation and this is very much ok - you cut down number of possible problems to one application (Trados) and not two (Trados + Word).

4. When I use Studio 2009, will I still be able to service customers who require older versions of Trados? I have many clients who work with customer-based TM's - will I still be able to import these TM's and deliver exports in the 'old' format when using Studio 2009?

Together with Studio you get Trados 2007 license and you can use it as you like and then you can even use Word's interface for translating. Moreover, when using T2007 with Word's interface you get spell check even with O2010, but you do not get it in Tageditor - so bear this in mind while waiting for updates.
[/quote]

Marina Snoek  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
Dutch to Russian
+ ...
Office 2010 and SDL Studio 2009 Sep 20, 2010

Has someone a positive feedback on using of the combination of Office 2010 and SDL Studio 2009 in Windows 7 operating system?
I read some time ago the reaction of Michal, the Polish college who has warned for using of the Office 2010.
I've bought a new laptop with Office 2010 installed. Should I better destroy it and replace with the Office 2007? Or is this problem meanwhile solved by SLD?
Thanks in advance.

Hallo Geale,

Heb je je keuze al gemaakt? Ik ben erg benieuwd naar, want ik zat met precies dezelfde vragen als jij.

Geale de Vries  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stick to Office 2007 Sep 20, 2010

Marina,
I have deleted Office 2010 and instaled Office 2007, just to be safe.
It is working fine with Trados 2007, although I had to change some shortcuts in Trados (Alt+ --> Ctrl+) and Alt*-->Ctrl*), which is quite annoying, because I am so used to the old combinations.
I have also installed Studio 2009, but I haven't started using it yet. I will do that soon.
The reason I stick to Office 2007 is that I still can get Language Packs for more languages (in my case Norwegian), which is not possible in Office (Word) 2010.
Besides, hardly any of my clients uses Office 2010 so far.

Michał Tosza  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
New problems cauesd (most probably) by Office 2010 update Sep 21, 2010

Geale de Vries wrote:

Marina,
I have deleted Office 2010 and instaled Office 2007, just to be safe.
It is working fine with Trados 2007, although I had to change some shortcuts in Trados (Alt+ --> Ctrl+) and Alt*-->Ctrl*), which is quite annoying, because I am so used to the old combinations.
I have also installed Studio 2009, but I haven't started using it yet. I will do that soon.
The reason I stick to Office 2007 is that I still can get Language Packs for more languages (in my case Norwegian), which is not possible in Office (Word) 2010.
Besides, hardly any of my clients uses Office 2010 so far.

I updated my Office 2010, as there were some updates available. When I restarted the machine later on new problem appeared. Now I cannot even analyze DOC files in Workbench 2007. It just simply hangs up when Analyse button is pressed. 15 DOC files from different sources checked - result is the same. It seems that Trados does not notice that Office is installed. The same situation with memoQ 4.2.21 - while adding DOC files it informs that Office is not installed. Great.

The workaround (for both programs) is to save as DOCX. But come on - the layout might be "funny" then.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Language Packs for Office 2010 are now downloadable Sep 21, 2010

Geale de Vries wrote:

Sorry, but this is not true at all, on the contrary, language packs for Office 2010 can now easily be downloaded from the Internet whereas for previous Office versions they had to be purchased as a physical box. In addition they can be installed regardless of which language version you already have (up to 2003, language packs could only be installed on English versions).

Walter

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 SP2 with MS Office 2010 works fine here Sep 21, 2010

Studio 2009 Sp2 is compatible with Office 2010 as long as you have installed the separately released beta file types for 2010 (see KB articles 3239, 3135).

On the other hand the upcoming release SP3 will be fully compatible with Office 2010 without the need of any tweaking (see KB article 3313).

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Trados version with Windows 7/Office 2010

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search