Student Edition SDL Trados 2009
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:38
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 19, 2010

A friend om mine just started his studies in Holland to become a translator. Being a student, he can buy a student edition of SDL Trados 2009 for € 149,-.

I don't know this version, never heard of it, but he made me curious. So I had a look on the Trados website and on the internet, but couldn't find any information.

You get what you pay for, so I suppose this Student Edition is a symplified version, but what exactly do you get for your money? Does anybody know?

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think that would be the version that is called the Starter Edition Sep 19, 2010

You can often see it advertised here on the proz.com homepage.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
AFAIK: full edcuational licence Sep 19, 2010

SDL has a special licencing policy for universities, so probably also for students.
However what I know nearly for sure - it is not the Starter Edition. Starter Edition is 99 EUR per year, not 149 EUR (AFAIK).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Educational License Sep 19, 2010

AFAIK, the educational license includes a fully functional Freelance version which can be used for production (commercial) purposes after the licensee has finished his/her studies.
This is what I was told a few months ago, but I can't exclude the possibility that there may have been some changes to this policy.
I believe only Paul or somebody else from SDL can throw more light on this.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Academic Portal Sep 19, 2010

Hi all,

I think the best thing to do is take a look at the SDL Academic Portal here;

http://www.translationzone.com/en/community/academic-portal/

If you don't find an answer to a specific question on this site then there are plenty of ways to get in touch on these pages and ask your question from the right person.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Student Edition SDL Trados 2009

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search