Thread poster: Jerzy Czopik

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:56
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sep 19, 2010

Please before you post to this forum use the search function.
This is really annoying for the ones willing to help to have to write the same instructions again and again.
For example questions about disappearing tool-bar, error while writing breaks, font changes in Word, corrupted characters in Word, missing templates and other common errors have been explained here dozens of times.
I understand the necessity of helping and I really understand the frustration when you need help. But what I do not understand is why so many are so lazy and do not even try to help themselves...
So then, after not having found any help via the help function you will post here. That's fine, even if the topic has been discussed before - sometimes the right solution for you will not be present there or you will not be able to find it. Still ok, but then, when you post, please be precise. If you just write "Help, I can't open PowerPoint in Trados", you will certainly not get a precise answer, as no one will know what could be the reason without knowing the elemntary information like version numbers.
Please do not think we do sit here with a crystall ball full of solutions and have nothing better to do as to wait for your questions and answer them at once.

Please help us to help you!

You may of course say I'm rude or if I do not want I do not need to help. This is obviously true. But I am not the only one annoyed by this situation - and if you get rid of all willing to help here you'll be left alone.

Direct link Reply with quote

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, it is worth a forum topic Sep 19, 2010

I am here for 10 years now.
This forum is one of the best help sources on the Internet.
Help us to make it better - that is all.

Really, I can hardly understand that people can make so many efforts involve other in helping them (regardless who's willing to help), but are not prepared to invest a minute to fulfill some basic requirements. What is the problem? If you go to doctor and get a questionaire to fill out, you do that. If you go to your car technician, you describe your problem and give him the details of your car. But for reasons that are beyond my understading requests for information placed here and statements, that those information are requested with the call for help always lead to a discussion.

In a real world, when you* ask for a favour, then you are kind to the one you're asking for it. You give the expected information and so on. Why the heck here not?

* you: means general, no one is adressed directl

[Edited at 2010-09-19 18:55 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-09-19 19:36 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why bother? Sep 19, 2010

Because it is ProZ!
We simply do bother when others are in trouble.
And we are really willing to help.
However to get it done smoothly and efficiently some rules must be followed.

Maybe an idea on that: possibly the site staff could make a subforum here with some sticky topics on most common errors. What do you think about that?

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
That might be an idea Sep 19, 2010

...and I rest my case here, apparently I am not allowed to answer (?????)

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for the reminder, Jerzy! Sep 19, 2010

Especially for the benefit of new users of the SDL Trados Support forum, it should be mentioned that, no matter how pressing your problem, we do need some basic information before being able to help with your problem.

This basic information includes, for example:

Your operating system
Your version of the SDL software (Trados or Studio), which can be checked under the Help menu of the software and then "About"
The exact wording of any error messages
In cases where Word is also involved, your version of Word
The precise actions you carried out which led up to the error
Any other circumstances which could be of relevance

In addition, the title of your forum topic should be informative, stating the exact nature of the problem and not only the word "Help!"

Jerzy has particularly profound knowledge of the SDL Trados software and is very active in helping site users with problems relating to it. Please help him and a number of other regular committed helpers to assist you in solving your problem.

Thanks to all in advance.

Astrid

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:56
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Sticky topics and basic info requirements Sep 19, 2010

Jerzy,
I feel your pain. During my career I have worked long years in tech support, so I know first hand how vital some information is for providing proper help, and also how difficult it is sometime to make the customer (the one asking for help) to provide that information.
What we implemented at my company was a system where the customer service reps (who picked up all calls coming in to the company) asked the basic information (OS, software versions, error messages, etc) from the caller, and put it into the database, and only THEN passed the call and the case number to the support engineers. The support engineers did not have to waste time asking those basic questions, they could start thinking about the actual solutions.

So, in line with that, I suggest the following:
1. Use sticky topics for the most common problems (I already see one for the disappearing Trados toolbar in Word)

2. Create a short list of the basic information that you think is vital for giving proper help (OS name and version, Trados version, Word/Office version, error message received, steps to recreate the erroneous situation, etc.). Make that into a sticky topic, with one post, locked. When somebody wants to ask a question, they could copy-paste the list from that post, and fill in the answers. It is like a template, so you could name that topic "Template to ask questions on this forum" or something like that.

What do you think?
Katalin

[Edited at 2010-09-19 20:04 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very good idea Sep 19, 2010

Again, I do want to emphasize, that I am not on critisizing people and not on getting answers like if you are tired with helping then retire.
Neither of those is my purpose here.
I really would like to continue helping. And your input is very welcome here. Having all those basic information at hand you can really provide help fast - this means better help for the one who is asking and far less time invested from my side. Of course that part is the one crucial to me. You can easily imagine that would do my business good. But it will also do good those who ask for help - the help could be faster and more of you could get it. So please try to give the forum helpers (not only in Trados forum) the information they need. Then you will get (nearly) any help you need.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Perhaps a different format for this forum with check boxes... Sep 19, 2010

Hello all,

what about asking Techies to work on a different format for this forum, specifically as to when (and only) "New topic" is clicked on, i.e. instead of the typical title box & empty free-text box, also a sort of form to be filled with the necessary info:

- OS

- SDL Trados version

- MS Office version

and below that the free-text box for a description, maybe with a reminder about what ought to be described, as I do have to agree with Jerzy, sometimes one needs a crystal ball, has to guess what steps were done and for what.

Giuliana

[Edited at 2010-09-20 14:40 GMT]

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:56
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Link forum to SDL and devide into Trados/Studio fora Sep 20, 2010

As far as I can see it is this special software that causes most troubles. There could be a link to the support pages of SDL, and only after a user has been searching there would be allowed to post here.
At least Proz should devide this forum into Trados and Studio. Then Studio users could deselect the Trados forum and vice versa.
After all SDL is making money with this software but also with their support contracts. If colleagues like Jerzy would stop helping here in this forum SDL would sell more support contracts, but in the end I believe would sell less software.

I'm myself not innocent, many times have asked questions that could have been found in some help system. But the help system in Studio looks quite good so far. From MS Word help I have never been able to get a useful answer.

Regards
Heinrich

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A good idea Sep 20, 2010

Personally I would find it very adequate indeed if, as the mere reply, those wishing to help others with the CAT-tool struggles would report that the information is insufficient to be able to help. And I mean BEFORE offering any help or hint at all. I think that way people would show some interest in specifying their problem and tools along with the question.

I really wonder how SDL would survive without the help so generously shared by some people here in Proz.com! They should really erect a statue in front of SDL's headquarters in tribute "TO OUR SAVIOURS IN TRANSLATOR FORA".

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
the information is insufficient to be able to help.... Sep 20, 2010

it is what happens in every fora, even game ones, and in every support page
if you don't give minimal data you are requested to do it and if you insist not doing them you receive nothing

unluckily, it seems that nowaday, the preferred habit is asking for a immediate solution, instead of searching for, and these people seem unable to understand that "having everything on a silver plate" makes them unable to get out of a scrape by themselves

Claudio

P.S. a google search is often more powerful than an internal Proz one ...

[Modificato alle 2010-09-20 11:04 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
another good idea Sep 20, 2010

would be the possibility to quickly post pictures here, as it is a lot more useful/practical seeing an error message, instead of describing it by words

Claudio

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Good idea, Heinrich Sep 20, 2010

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

At least Proz should devide this forum into Trados and Studio.

That's a very good idea, Heinrich.

If colleagues like Jerzy would stop helping here in this forum SDL would sell more support contracts, but in the end I believe would sell less software.

Oh, I don't know.

Support contracts include the cost of updates as well.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking for help? Help us to help you...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search