Created By/Changed by in Trados - How to change?
Thread poster: Edie73
Edie73
Edie73

Local time: 12:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 21, 2010

Hi everybody,

I am working on a translation with a memory that has already been filled with translations by others. When I come to a partial match and I change the necessary things in the translation, than the header 'Created by' changes into my name. How can I make sure that 'Created by' will be the original translator, and my name shows up under 'Changed by'?
(This is in Workbench).
I hope I made myself clear enough.

Thanks for your help!

Edit
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am working on a translation with a memory that has already been filled with translations by others. When I come to a partial match and I change the necessary things in the translation, than the header 'Created by' changes into my name. How can I make sure that 'Created by' will be the original translator, and my name shows up under 'Changed by'?
(This is in Workbench).
I hope I made myself clear enough.

Thanks for your help!

Edith.
Collapse

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:28
English to Italian
+ ...
An observation... Sep 21, 2010

I don't know the answer to your question but, given that you are editing a fuzzy match and not a 100% match, it makes sense that your userID appears under the "Created by " header, doesn't it? After all before you edited the fuzzy match, the TM did not contain a translation for that particular segment so in fact you are the creator of that particular TM entry, or am I missing something?

Gianluigi

Edie73
Edie73

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You might be right.... Sep 21, 2010

Hi Gianluigi,

It might very well that you are right!
But when does my name show up als the 'Changed by' then?

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD
Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:28
English to Italian
+ ...
when editing a 100% match Sep 21, 2010

I would think that your userID only shows up as "Changed by" when you actually edit a 100% match.

Evija Rimšāne
Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 13:28
English to Latvian
+ ...
- Sep 21, 2010

Hi Edith,

Gianluigi is right.

And I just wanted to add that it makes sense because you are not actually editing a partial match - you are in fact creating a new translation unit (TU) which is why your name appears in the line "Created by". Your name will be in the line "Changed by" only in case you change a 100% match, as Gianluigi pointed it out, because you are amending the existing TU, not creating a new one.
I hope it helps.

Edie73
Edie73

English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 22, 2010

Thanks to you both. I didn't know this!
Another thing learned today!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Created By/Changed by in Trados - How to change?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »