Marking text as non-translatable in Word/Excel
Thread poster: Jorgen1977
Jorgen1977
Jorgen1977
Local time: 05:59
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Sep 21, 2010

I sometimes receive Word files where parts of the file will be skipped without no further ado when I try to translate it with Trados. I've never asked the clients how they do that out of fear of coming across as inexperienced/unprofessional (had they only known lol), does someone here know? It's possible that I've only seen it when there's a table in the .doc file, not sure. And is it also possible in Excel? I normally use TadEditor for translations, by the way.

I have Trados 2007 a
... See more
I sometimes receive Word files where parts of the file will be skipped without no further ado when I try to translate it with Trados. I've never asked the clients how they do that out of fear of coming across as inexperienced/unprofessional (had they only known lol), does someone here know? It's possible that I've only seen it when there's a table in the .doc file, not sure. And is it also possible in Excel? I normally use TadEditor for translations, by the way.

I have Trados 2007 and Office 2003.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:59
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple Sep 21, 2010

In Word, look for style tw4winExternal and apply it to all parts you don't want translated. This of course alters the format of your document, and if you need to deliver exactly the same document with non-translatable parts in their original format you will have to keep a copy of the source document and replace the tw4winExternal-ised parts.

In Excel, you can simply hide the columns and rows you don't want translated.

Chunyi Chen
Chunyi Chen
United States
Local time: 19:59
English to Chinese
I can't figure out the part where you said Sep 21, 2010

"In Word, look for style tw4winExternal and apply it to all parts you don't want translated. "

Where do I find that style in Word 2007 and how do I apply it to the text I want to skip translating?

One lady at SDL Support tried to teach me this by giving me detailed instructions but I was too embarrassed to admit that I have a hard time to process complicated procedures.

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
tw4winExternal Sep 21, 2010

Chun-yi Chen wrote:
Where do I find that style in Word 2007 and how do I apply it to the text I want to skip translating?

I use Word 2003, but the general idea is the same.
If your document doesn't already contain the tw4winExternal style on the style list/pane/ribbon, open another document that does, select a portion of the text with that style, click the Format painter button, select a portion of the first document (that you want to apply the style to), and release the mouse button. Alternatively, just copy and paste a piece of text with the style - you can delete it later.

To apply the style (or any other style), select the text you want and then select the style name from the style list/ribbon/pane.

Hope that helps.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:59
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Where can I get doc with this style? Sep 21, 2010

It sounds very easy but assumes that everyone has at least 1 document containing this style - could anyone suggest where such document could be found/downloaded from?

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Run macro... Sep 22, 2010

If you have Trados 2007 installed, then in Word you have its macros (installed with Trados8.dot template). Just run the macro sAddTagStyles and you will have all Trados styles needed, even in a new document.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Working in TagEditor... Sep 22, 2010

Jabberwock wrote:

If you have Trados 2007 installed, then in Word you have its macros (installed with Trados8.dot template). Just run the macro sAddTagStyles and you will have all Trados styles needed, even in a new document.

The same effect is achieved when you pretranslate the doc/rtf in Workbench, the styles are added automatically.

Jorgen1977 wrote:
I normally use TadEditor for translations, by the way.

So, in Word, simply apply the "hidden" formatting to the text you don't want to translate.

For Excel, it's similar, you should hide rows/columns you don't want to translate.
By default, the hidden rows/columns aren't processed (u can modify this behaviour in the Filter Settings application).
It's a quite primitive approach i.e. you can only skip entire rows/columns but it's enough for simple, well structured sheets (kinda "please, translate only the fifth column")
If you need a more flexible selection, you should take a look on DVX or, better, memoQ.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking text as non-translatable in Word/Excel

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »