Is it ok to have Trados and Wordfast toolbars opened at the same time?
Thread poster: Marion Delarue

Marion Delarue  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:03
Spanish to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2010

Hello

I have Trados 7, Wordfast 6 and Word 2003 installed in my computer.

When I open Word, both toolbars are opened.

I was practicing with wordfast this afternoon, and when I tried to use the keyboard shortcuts, I was asked if I wanted to run Trados Translator´s workbench.

So I have several questions:

- Is it "safe" to have both Trados and Wordfast toolbars opened at the same time?

- If it is all right, how can I use Wordfast shortcuts working?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Susanne Schiewe
Germany
Local time: 19:03
Member (2009)
English to German
Deactivate Trados template Sep 21, 2010

Hi,

Try to deactivate the Trados template in Word (Tools > Templates and Add-Ins (I am not sure about the English interface options); clear the checkbox next to the Trados template.

Good luck!
Susanne

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-21 18:35 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-21 18:38 GMT]

I don't know Wordfast, but I have another CAT tool installed beside Trados and I have to deactivate the Trados template before I use the other CAT tool, so the Trados toolbar disappears automatically.

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-21 18:47 GMT]

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:04
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
No it isn't Sep 21, 2010

They can't live together.

Cheers,
Gerard

Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:04
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Wordfast normally close Trados automatically Sep 21, 2010

Both Trados and Wordfast use the same shortcuts for some functions, so both toolbars shouldn't be active at the same time.
It is, however, possible to go to Tools > Customize and click on the button Keyboard in order to change the keyboard shortcuts.
Select Macros on the left and you'll see a list of active macros for your document.
For example, I have assigned the shortcut F8 for WfContexts in order to be able to search in the Wordfast memory even when I'm currently using Trados.

Also, making a shortcut F10 for copying a selection and closing the document, and adding F10 for pasting as text only (so you don't paste the green text from the memory search) makes it faster working with Wordfast - just press F8 to search, select the translation, Press F9, go to the place in the target segment where you want the text and press F10. If you search directly from the target segment, you'll get a fast F8, F9 and F10 sequence.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it ok to have Trados and Wordfast toolbars opened at the same time?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search