can't open idml file in InDesign CS4 after translating in Studio
Thread poster: Sonia Gouin

Sonia Gouin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:35
English to French
Sep 21, 2010

I get the following message when I go back into Indesign to open the file: Cannot open document. Not well formed.

Any help would be appreciated...

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 13:35
French to German
+ ...
Which versions did you use? Sep 22, 2010

Could you pls specify which version of InDesign was used to create the IDML, was it also CS4?

Which version of Studio are you using? SP2? Did you install the cumulative updates, as there have been changes related to the IDML file types.

Walter

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
idml was created in CS4, am using Trados sp1 Sep 22, 2010

Thank you for your reply. Yes I did create the idml from CS4. I don't believe I have installed the SP2 after the SP1. Will look into this and try again. I had to deliver the file this morning so I ended up creating an .inx and translating it in Tageditor Trados 2007. The .inx did not work in Studio either. Will post back after installing sp2.

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
still getting "Not well formed" msg in CS4 after installing studio 2009 sp2 Sep 22, 2010

Hi Walter.

I downloaded and installed SP2 but the problem still remains. I rebooted the computer before reopening the file to make sure everything was reinitialized. I had 3 files to translate for this client. The first 2 worked like a charm in idml format but it's this third one that caused a problem...

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do you also get the error with the untranslated file? Sep 22, 2010

Sonia

May I ask you to do the following:

1. Open the IDML file in Studio and save the bilingual file.

2. Without translating any segment, do a 'Save as target' and try to open this target IDML file in InDesign.

If you already get the error at this stage, it means that the input IDML file cannot be properly processed by the IDML filter. In that case, you would need to report this to SDL so that they can improve their filter.

If you do not get the error at this stage, it means that the error gets introduced at some stage during the translation and we have to find out where (which will be time-consuming, dependent on the number of segments in the document).

Walter

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
still get the error with the untranslated file Sep 22, 2010

I just went through your steps with the bilingual untranslated file and I still get the error msg. Luckily I was able to deliver the file by exporting the TM and using TagEditor. I will definitely report this to SDL. Thank you.

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
where to email to report a problem to SDL Sep 23, 2010

Hi again Walter:

May seem like a silly question but I've gone on SDL's website and I can't find an email address for support unless I have a maintenance contract with them. What should I be looking for?

I simply want to report the problem and I don't any feedback. I just want to make sure it goes to the right people.

Thank you

Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Support is only available on the basis of contract Sep 24, 2010

As for most large software editors, SDL requires you to have a PSMA (Product Support and Maintenance Agreement) in order to be able to benefit from support (with the exception of licensing problems, which you can report through the Solution Finder on kb.sdl.com).

Walter

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
What about INX? Sep 24, 2010

Did you try to save your InDesign file as INX and translate it?

Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
problem to be fixed in SP3 Sep 27, 2010

Hi Walter:

Just to let you know. Someone from SDL read our post and wrote to me as he wanted to look at the file. I sent him the file and his response was the following: "This has been fixed and is currently scheduled for the next release after SP3. I’m pushing to see if we can have this as a hotfix earlier and I’ll let you know if we do."

So that's good news.

And Marie-Claude, to answer your question, yes I tried in .inx format. That gave me a different error, can't recall what is was. However, I tried this before installing SP2 so perhaps it would've worked with the SP2 installed. I did not push this further as I managed to deliver my file with Trados 2007.

Thanks everyone.

Mariusz Lasota
English to Polish
Problem has not been fixed Nov 17, 2011

I just tried to open and save a small idml file generated by CS5.5 and then by CS4 on a different computer and in both cases Studio'11 failed to save a "well formed" idml file.

Perhaps this is something in the InDesign page layout that is not handled properly? SDL Support would be very helpful to tell us what exactly the problem is, so it could be avoided rather than saying "we identified the issue and are working on it"

Aviram Gang  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:35
Member (2010)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
May 30, 2013

[Edited at 2013-05-30 20:40 GMT]

Germany
Member (2010)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Alive and well and living in 2011 SP2R May 30, 2013

Three years later, I am facing exactly the same problem: do they at all update this software, or only update the version numbers?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Make sure that you have... May 31, 2013

... the latest updates as there were some fixes to IDML in CU8 : http://goo.gl/tRk6n

If this doesn't help, and if you are allowed to share the file, can you send me a copy?

Regards

Paul
pfilkin@sdl.com

Germany
Member (2010)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
My Trados is up-to-date May 31, 2013

Thanks for the tip, Paul, but unfortunately this isn't the reason for that error.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

can't open idml file in InDesign CS4 after translating in Studio

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search