Trados studio 2009 - large number of tags in .pptx doc
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:26
French to English
Sep 22, 2010

Hello,

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 and Office 2007 with Windows Vista.

I hope that someone might be able to give me some advice. I have received a .pptx (PowerPoint 2007 presentation) from a client for translation. When I open it in Studio, it takes much longer than a document normally takes to open. Once it does finally open,there are an enourmous number of tags, in fact, each word is between its own set of tags, making it impossible to use Trados to translate the document (I really can't see the wood for the trees!).

I would guess that this is something to do with the way that the .pptx document has been put together by the author. I wonder whether anyone might be able to shed any light on it, and perhaps offer a solution? Obviously, I can translate the document without using Trados, but there are a large number of repetitions so it would be a shame!

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to give.

Caroline

PS I've never used any former versions of Trados, before Studio 2009

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
The author's fault Sep 22, 2010

Hi Caroline,

You're right - this looks like the author's fault. What you can do is have a look at the content of the tags. You might find, for example, that they indicate various language settings, which aren't really necessary. In this case, you could set a single language for all the text. I'm not sure if PowerPoint 2007 allows that already - I use PPT 2003, where you have to CTRL+A on each slide and select the required language.

You might also get rid of some fonts, if they aren't necessary.

You could also try saving the presentation in the older PPT format (and optionally back to PPTX again). That might get rid of some of the junk automatically.

Some people use Open Office for such conversions, but I have always encountered some unwanted changes in colours, animations etc. You could try it, though, if the presentation is really simple.

Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Saving to ppt 2003 worked a treat Sep 22, 2010

Hi Adam,

Very many thanks for your advice - saving back as ppt 2003 seems to have worked a treat, it has got rid of all the tags in any case. Now I just need to make sure that it hasn't changed anything in the document.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Saving betweeen PPT and PPTX Sep 22, 2010

As long as you do it in PowerPoint, it is normally very safe. Please note, however, that there might be differences in the wordcount. I haven't translated presentations in Studio yet, but in Tag Editor, PPTX files open with translatable auxiliary text for pictures while PPT files don't. This doesn't affect the reader in any way, and you can always save your PPT back to PPTX - the junk tags should not return.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados studio 2009 - large number of tags in .pptx doc

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search