Probably my settings are wrong. could anybody help me please?
Thread poster: Helena Diaz del Real

Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:59
German to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2010

Hello fellow translators,

First of all: Thank you for your interest on helping me!

About my devices here: I work with Trados Freelance 7 and I've got Windows 2003. (I don't know which other information do you need for help)

So and now my problem:
I've got a quite big technical text to translate. The agency sent me a memory. In their analisis there are 9.000 words in total and about 5.000 are repetitions.

So I began to translate. But what I saw is, that Translator's Workbench does not seem to recognize the files I imported from the agency. I.e. if I have a segment saying "Peter has 12 pens" and I definetely translated a sentence saying "Peter has 10 pens" Trados makes me repeat and tipp the whole sentence again! It has already happen several times!

If it continues like this, I am sure I will never, ever get the 5.000 repetitions meant.

I am right to suppose that the settings in my trados-programm are wrong?
If so, is there anybody willing to help me to get the right settings, please?
Besides this, I would need the explanation really step-by-step, as I don't feel much confident with it all.

Any help would be very, very much apreciated!
Thank you very much!

My best wishes,
Helena

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:59
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Client's TM settings Sep 22, 2010

It may be that the matching value is set too high in the client's TM.

In Translator Workbench click on
Options
Translator Memory Options (General tab)
Minimum match value (mine is 65%, I´ve had it as high as 70% but never higher).
Adjust it accordingly.

Also, highlight the part of text you mentioned and do a Concordance search to see whether the segment is in the memory, as it should be.

I don't know whether this would help but it does not hurt trying.

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What does "Minimum Match value" really mean? Sep 22, 2010

Hello Luisa,

I thank you very much for your help.

In fact I didn't know that the client's TM may have a "minimum match value" set...
Perhaps is that the reason for my pain...icon_wink.gif

But tell me Luisa, what does "Minimum match value" really means. Well the single words are already clear to me, but what I am trying to say is, what is the meaning of a high or a low value. Which effect does it have for me and my translation? What happens if I set it to 90% and what if I set it to 10%? (As an example, of course!)

Once more thank you very much for your help!

My best wishes,
Helena

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Segments, not words Sep 22, 2010

There is a lot of information on the manuals. As I understand it, and I wish to make this very clear, as I understand it, the matching value determines how TWB decides whether a segment it found in the TM corresponds to the segment open for translation, whether it can be applied —if at all, and in what percentage (yellow-fuzzy, you edit it; or green-perfect match).

Translator Workbench will not look at isolated words, put them together, and suggest it as a translation; it looks at segments and determines the percentage of the matching (based on the number specified in the minimum matching value); the higher the matching percentage the less fuzzy matching segments TWB will find, it will only find those that are alike or almost alike: 65% when I open a segment find in the TM all segments that have at least 65% of resemblance; 90% when I open a segment find in the TM all segments that have at least 90% of resemblance; 100% show me only perfect matches, 10%... you get the idea.

Again, in your example, a 65% or 70% minimum matching value would have made that segment an almost perfect match. TWB would have probably replaced the numbers and accepted the translation automatically making it appear green.

Words, individual terms, TWB does not control that, that is what Multiterm is for, but that is a differente module.

So, what was the minimum matching value in the TM received from the client? Regardless of how high it is, it should have detected a phrase that was almost a perfect matching.

Olaf (X)
English to German
Maybe your translation wasn't stored in the TM? Sep 22, 2010

If you translated a sentence like "Peter has 12 pens" and then "Peter has 10 pens" it should definitely show up as a match. If it doesn't happen, chances are your previous translation for the first occurrence wasn't stored in the TM or the minimum match value is set to 100%.
I don't mean to offend you, but are you sure that you pressed the correct shortcuts for Set/Close after entering each translation? If so, the TM might be write protected or corrupted. However, it's more likely that the minimum match value is set to 100%, in which case no fuzzy matches will be suggested.

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, it is in TM Sep 23, 2010

Hello Olaf,

No, I am not angry at all and you do not offend me. Don't worry!

Well I am sure, the segment is in the TM because when I start the translation and let it run through "go until next Fuzzi-Match" it works without problems.

However it has happens many times that I've got a word to translate and few segments thereafter, I remeber exactly having done it, and I get a "No match!". If I search the word again by "MS-Word", I find it without problems - with the given translation nextby.

BTW My setting is 60%.

Thank you!

My best wishes,
Helena

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Luisa Sep 23, 2010

Dear Luisa,
thank you very much for your efforts on helping me.

Unfortunately I cannot tell you which match has been set by the client. Mine is 60%.

But what happens if the segment consist only of one word? My text now is full of them! Why does it not recognize it as a segment and gives me the translation I provided before?

Well I think Trados will always be a castle with seven keys...

Once more, thank you very much and my best wishes,
Helena

United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Words as segments Sep 23, 2010

This is precisely what I mentioned yesterday. TWB will not find specific "words" within sentences in the text and incorporate their translation.

Let's say you translated the word "house", alone or as part of a segment of X words; and that it appears 500 more times in your document (by itself or as part of some other segment, which may be identical or not, which may have 5 words —the same or different, or 25 words, for that matter). Example: You found and translated 1) "house" / 2) "The house is green". Further on you find and need to translate 3) "Why don´t you come over to my house? We will have coffee and I will show you what my husband and I have done to the house since we purchased it. We were inspired by our neighbor's house". And you also find 4) "The house is large".

TWB will not do much with segment 3 of the example. The matching value between that and the two segments previously translated where the word house is present is insignificant; however, segment number 4 is 99% similar to segment number 2 in the example. In this case, TWB will suggest a translation (The house is big), but the segment will be yellow —indicating a fuzzy match, and "big" will need to reblaced with "large".

On the other hand, if the whole segment is the word "house" —as may be the case on a list of words, sure enough, it will get translated automatically each and every time it appears under the same circumstances, i.e., as a segment by itself. In such case, it will be a 100% match. But you never said you were working on a list.

One last thought, unless the TM the client sent you was a .txt or a.tmx to import into your own previously existing memory, the settings that show are those set by the client.

[Edited at 2010-09-23 12:49 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Probably my settings are wrong. could anybody help me please?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search