Thread poster: Susanna Martoni

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:50
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Sep 22, 2010

Mi scuso per questa domanda eventualmente ritrita o semi-inopportuna, ma non ho trovato riscontri da alcuna parte.

Dovrei ricavare un glossario dalla memoria Trados (WB).
La cosa più evidente parrebbe quella di fare un file export txt...
Ma poi?

Come procedere per costruire un glossario tipo
termine di partenza TAB termine di arrivo
senza impazzire troppo e/o perdere ore per cancellare e sistemare e aggiungere dei dati?
Se meglio Word o Excel, non saprei, fra l'altro.

Grazie mille

Direct link Reply with quote

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Memoria e glossario sono due cose differente! Sep 22, 2010

Susanna

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. Workbench works with translation memories (TM - memoria), which store entire sentences of text in source and target languages (so called 'translation units' or 'segment pairs') whereas terms are stored in a termbase (base terminologica) and this is taken care of by another application, called Multiterm.

Therefore, in order to export a glossary (of terms) you need a 'termbase' and not a 'translation memory'.

It is however possible to extract terms from a translation memory (or a bilingual document), this would however not be a simple export but an extraction process which requires a specialized software such as Multiterm Extract or SDL PhraseFinder.

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit.

Walter

Susanna Martoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 23, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Susanna

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. Workbench works with translation memories (TM - memoria), which store entire sentences of text in source and target languages (so called 'translation units' or 'segment pairs') whereas terms are stored in a termbase (base terminologica) and this is taken care of by another application, called Multiterm.

Therefore, in order to export a glossary (of terms) you need a 'termbase' and not a 'translation memory'.

It is however possible to extract terms from a translation memory (or a bilingual document), this would however not be a simple export but an extraction process which requires a specialized software such as Multiterm Extract or SDL PhraseFinder.

Thank you Walter,
but I was asked (by a client who gave me the work but did not ask me to use Trados, and I am actually using it) to make a glossary relevant to this job.
So, I just have a WB memory and should build a glossary in Excel and Word format.
I was just wondering how to proceed, (no Multiterm available here).
Well, I guess I shoul built it from scratch, or something like that...
Have a nice day and thank you again
Susanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossario da file export (txt) di Trados

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search