Why does Studio 2009 make translating take so long
Thread poster: Pluperfect

Pluperfect
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:56
Member (2006)
Italian to English
Sep 23, 2010

Is it just me or does a translation now take a lot longer with Studio 2009?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:56
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
It's just you :) Sep 23, 2010

Are you comparing Studio with a translation done on pen&paper or anything more specific?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A better description is necessary Sep 23, 2010

Unless you describe what factors make you slower, it is very hard to tell! Can you please be more specific about what feels slow in your case?

Pluperfect
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
A pen and paper would certainly not take so long to start up. Sep 23, 2010

I have used Trados 2007 for some time. It certainly has its limitations but I don't believe Studio 2009 has addressed them.

I like what Studio 2009 sets out to do but it does not succeed.

It takes an age to start up.
Having finally got it started, there is more wasted time while you get way too many options as you create a project or even a single document.
During translation there are flickering, buggy, egg timer delays, and that's just for a simple word file without complex formatting. For those docs with extra layers of complexity I have had to make certain tasks of the setup process correspond with when I would be out, for hours. When such a document is finally ready in the appropriate format it is full of junk tags, with the target translation appearing in any number of formats.
Word counts never agree with others generated by other programs.

I use voice recognition software, which in Word, and therefore Workbench, allows me to "Type" much faster. In Studio 2009 the results from voice recognition are poorer and much slower. This is not Trados' fault but I bet if Studio 2009 was not so buggy the two programs would be able to work together at the same time.

I have two reasonably powerful machines. One with Windows 7 and the other still running XP, which I will keep because Workbench will not work on 7.

Talking of operating systems, I am reminded of Vista, which never got better however many SPs they released.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Just you Sep 23, 2010

I think it might just be you. I find Studio is a huge improvement over Workbench + Word, and an enormous improvement over TagEditor. I haven't had the same experience as you at all, apart from the fact that Studio takes a while (say 20-30 seconds) to start up for me. I don't get flickering, buggy, egg-timer delays, apart from the fact that for the first segment it always takes a little while to search the TM. I don't get many junk tags, though I do routinely have to check final docs for formatting. Formatting errors generally have more to do with poor format of the source doc than they do with Studio.

How much RAM do you have in your computer? Perhaps you could do with more in order to cope with voice recognition + complex CAT tool at the same time.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Now we have the details, here are my 2 cents Sep 23, 2010

1. Long start-up time. Well, I've just timed it on my machine and it took 19 seconds. How long does it take on yours?
2. Too many options to create a project or single document.
Personally, I add files to an already-created project (so I have already assigned TMs, termbases, etc.). It only takes a few clicks. Other ways of working have been discussed here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177521-packages_and_projects_in_studio_2009.html
3. Voice recognition. I've used Dragon with Studio 2009 and don't find it too slow, but I stopped using it because I find using Google MT a faster way of working. But I guess that's very much a personal preference.
4. Workbench and Win7. This combination works for me, but I don't use it much because I find Studio much better all round. You don't get the problems of working inside Word, or the unfriendliness of Tag Editor.

Anyway, I'm glad the pen&paper bit didn't apply in the end. You never knowicon_smile.gif

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How much is "an age"? Sep 23, 2010

Pluperfect wrote:
It takes an age to start up.

Sorry to be a pain in the neck, but how long is "an age" for you? My tool (not Studio 2009) takes 12 seconds to open, complete with a list of open projects and news. Fair enough for me, I feel. On the same machine, starting TagEditor with TWB (2007) takes some 8 seconds.

And... how much memory do you have in your machines?

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Puzzled Sep 23, 2010

Angela Dickson wrote:
I don't get many junk tags, though I do routinely have to check final docs for formatting. Formatting errors generally have more to do with poor format of the source doc than they do with Studio.

I find this most puzzling: are you saying that Studio messes around with (well, that did sound harsh; my apologies, I meant to say "processes") the documents' format instead of simply extracting the text and producing exactly the same file with an exact same format, but with the text in a different language?

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No idea Sep 23, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Angela Dickson wrote:
I don't get many junk tags, though I do routinely have to check final docs for formatting. Formatting errors generally have more to do with poor format of the source doc than they do with Studio.

I find this most puzzling: are you saying that Studio messes around with (well, that did sound harsh; my apologies, I meant to say "processes") the documents' format instead of simply extracting the text and producing exactly the same file with an exact same format, but with the text in a different language?

To be honest, I don't know; it's probably something I'm doing wrong, but I do find there are frequent changes in font size in docs I translate in Studio. I assumed it was something to do with how styles/formats are applied by the original author to the Word doc. I'd be interested to hear what your experience with Studio has been, and if you've ever had this problem.

I don't find it too much of an issue, as I always read through the target doc for style/coherence in any case, and can fix the formatting as I go along.

Darrell Champlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same problem here Sep 23, 2010

I used to have the very same problem. Studio 2009 would take no less than 5 minutes to load, often even longer. No kidding, folks! Removing temporary files and cleaning the registry would usually help, but the ultimate solution was migrating to a new HD and Windows 7. Now, 15 seconds is about the average to get it up and running. I have a quad core running with 4MB RAM.
About the other steps to start translating, I have no gripes...

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Strange Sep 23, 2010

Angela Dickson wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what your experience with Studio has been, and if you've ever had this problem.

Indeed I had the same problem in the past, with Trados 2007, but not now with my current tool (MemoQ). I find it puzzling that an old problem in Trados 2007 (destruction of formatting) still happens in Studio.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Studio Sep 23, 2010

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Angela Dickson wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what your experience with Studio has been, and if you've ever had this problem.

Indeed I had the same problem in the past, with Trados 2007, but not now with my current tool (MemoQ). I find it puzzling that an old problem in Trados 2007 (destruction of formatting) still happens in Studio.

It's nowhere near as bad as Trados 2007, and it doesn't happen with all documents. I assumed you worked with Studio, since you answered this question! I'm happy with Studio at present, particularly the integrated terminology management and Autosuggest, but next time it becomes necessary to spend serious money on an upgrade I'm going to look at other options including MemoQ.

Roy OConnor (X)
German to English
A big improvement Sep 23, 2010

I find Studio a big improvement on former versions. My computer and drives are fast, so the program runs up quickly. The project templates are a good idea and I have set up one for each customer, so setting up projects maybe takes me a just a couple of minutes. I once tried to translate a big raw PDF file, but that seemed to be just too much and I gave up waiting for the SDLXLIFF file. It is fine though with small PDFs of just a couple of pages.

I have Dragon too, but find that the Autosuggest system saves me a lot of typing anyway and is much more accurate.

My impression of the odd time that the format is changed in Word files is that I have probably messed up the tags. The only problem I have really is the interface with Multiterm which does not work correctly all the time.

Now I have almost forgotten how to use Workbench!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why takes discussing about CATs and Studio so long? Sep 23, 2010

Is it just me or has someone else also have the impression, we are loosing lot of time for such discussions?

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
yes Sep 23, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Is it just me or has someone else also have the impression, we are loosing lot of time for such discussions?

Completely agree (and I realise I have contributed to this waste of time in this instance). The lesson is mainly: if you don't like a tool, either use something else that does the job better, or learn to use the tool properly.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does Studio 2009 make translating take so long

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search