Can I merge TMs from different source languages?
Thread poster: Alexandre Maricato

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 02:30
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
Sep 26, 2010

Hi all,

I work with Studio 2009 and wonder if there is some setting that allows me to change the TM source language (like from English-UK to English-US, for example). So I can apply this TM if I have to work with a source file in US or UK English.

Or better, is there some way to merge TMs of different source languages on a new TM (or an existing one)?

Thanks in advance.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to use the proper language variant for working Sep 26, 2010

However, you can import EN-US into EN-UK or vice versa, as there is a setting for ignoring the language variants in the import process in Studio.
To merge two TMs, export one as TMX and import in the other one ignoring the language variant.
However, if I would be in your shoes I would not merge existing TMs, but create a new one (or at least copy one and save under a different name) and import the content of both (or the other one respectively) there. This way you would have what you had and create a plus, instead of potentially damaging something.

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 02:30
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 26, 2010

Thanks a lot Jerzy,

I will surely create a new one. That was exactly my problem - the language variants!

Best regards,
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I merge TMs from different source languages?

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search