Can I merge TMs from different source languages?
Thread poster: Alexandre Maricato

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 06:39
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
Sep 26, 2010

Hi all,

I work with Studio 2009 and wonder if there is some setting that allows me to change the TM source language (like from English-UK to English-US, for example). So I can apply this TM if I have to work with a source file in US or UK English.

Or better, is there some way to merge TMs of different source languages on a new TM (or an existing one)?

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:39
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need to use the proper language variant for working Sep 26, 2010

However, you can import EN-US into EN-UK or vice versa, as there is a setting for ignoring the language variants in the import process in Studio.
To merge two TMs, export one as TMX and import in the other one ignoring the language variant.
However, if I would be in your shoes I would not merge existing TMs, but create a new one (or at least copy one and save under a different name) and import the content of both (or the other one respectively) there. This way you would have what you had and create a plus, instead of potentially damaging something.

Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 06:39
Member (2009)
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Sep 26, 2010

Thanks a lot Jerzy,

I will surely create a new one. That was exactly my problem - the language variants!

Best regards,
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I merge TMs from different source languages?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search