Windows 7 64bit update from Microsoft
Thread poster: Giles Watson

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:10
Italian to English
Sep 27, 2010

I noticed there is a recommended update from Microsoft for Windows 7 64 bit that was released in August. Since the update regards the Net framework and requires a new version of Java, I am wary about downloading it (Studio and MT 2009 seem to be behaving themselves for the time being with Java 1.6.0.14 and 1.5.0.10).

Does anyone know if the update is worth downloading or will it play havoc with MultiTerm?

MTIA,

Giles

Direct link Reply with quote

Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:10
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
No problems experienced Sep 27, 2010

I have a Windows 7 64-bit PC and I'm using the latest Java update (Java 6 update 21) with no apparent problems in Studio or Multiterm. I just completed a course in Multiterm and ran it through many exercises including converting a large glossary with no problems.

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 04:10
English to Portuguese
All updates are necessary and create no problems at all... Sep 27, 2010

All updates released by Microsoft and Sun are backward compatible with existing applications, and do not affect Studio/Trados installations.

I keep my gear up to date daily, not a prob with any apps (Win 7 64-bit Ultimate/ Mac OS X 10.6.4).

Go get them...

Rgds

Edric

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Carolyn and Edric Sep 27, 2010

Thanks to both.

I download important updates automatically but this one is only recommended. When the request to install Sun's Java update popped up, I said no automatically as I have had enough problems with Java and MultiTerm in the past.

Now the Windows update panel tells me that the update (KB 982670) was unsuccessful but gives me no option to try again. Will it do so automatically or have I lost this update forever?

TIA

Giles

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
You have to try it later... Sep 27, 2010

Hi Giles

If you have not dismissed the updates on purpose (specifically setting not to apply them), both Microsoft and Sun will ask you to apply the update until next versions come up... Sun particularly will keep on remembering you about it

Try Windows Update some time later: it will be kept on the list until you install it...

By the way, if you are not being successful in applying such MS updates, there is something wrong with your OS (some system file is corrupt, or something like that...).

Anyway, if your Trados/Studio apps are working OK, you should not worry about them too much...

Rgds

Edric

[Edited at 2010-09-27 23:29 GMT]

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, Edric Sep 27, 2010

No, there's nothing wrong with the automatic Windows update or Trados/MultiTerm, as things stand.

I'll see what happens next time the update is presented.

Thanks again,

Giles

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
All SDL Trados SW works fine with latest updates Sep 29, 2010

Just for information: same situation here: I have both the 2007 and 2009 versions of SDL products installed on a 64 bit machine, always apply all new patches from Microsoft and have so far never encountered a problem because of this.

Walter

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Walter Sep 29, 2010

Thanks to you, too, Walter.

I have now installed Java 1.6.0.21 and the situation is the same as with version 16: everything works provided I use the administrator account to run Studio. In my working account, I can add terms to MultiTerm from within Studio but if MultiTerm hangs if I try to add a term directly.

This I can live with, but will Windows Update present KB982670 again? There have been several automatic updates since I refused it the first time and now it just sits in the list of updates marked "non riuscito" (unsuccessful). There doesn't appear to be any way of downloading it.

Thanks again,

Giles

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You can download any Microsoft KB article Sep 29, 2010

Giles Watson wrote:

This I can live with, but will Windows Update present KB982670 again? There have been several automatic updates since I refused it the first time and now it just sits in the list of updates marked "non riuscito" (unsuccessful). There doesn't appear to be any way of downloading it.

First, the Windows Update function on your PC has an option in the left navigation pane that allows you to reinstate deactivated updates. Just click on there and reactivate the previously deactivated update.

Second, for your information: any Microsoft patch with a KBxxxxxx number can very easily be downloaded separately by going to support.microsoft.com, entering 'KB982670' as serach criterion. You will get an explanatory page about the KB article and a link to download the patch.

Walter

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
You can download it if it's there ;-) Sep 29, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

First, the Windows Update function on your PC has an option in the left navigation pane that allows you to reinstate deactivated updates. Just click on there and reactivate the previously deactivated update.

This is presumably the "Ripristina aggiornamenti nascosti" option. Sadly, there's nothing in it

Second, for your information: any Microsoft patch with a KBxxxxxx number can very easily be downloaded separately by going to support.microsoft.com, entering 'KB982670' as serach criterion. You will get an explanatory page about the KB article and a link to download the patch.

That's what I thought.

The Microsoft support site sends me to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982670/it#appliesto

but I don't see any link to the patch.

Giles

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Have you installed the apps as "Admin"? Sep 29, 2010

Hi Giles

That seems to be related to security access... Have you installed Trados and Studio as "Admin"? For me, all kinds of problems were resolved when I uninstalled everything and reinstalled right-clicking on the respective "setup.exe" and selecting "Run as Administrator"...

Cheers

Edric

Italy
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip, Edric Sep 29, 2010

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Hi Giles

That seems to be related to security access... Have you installed Trados and Studio as "Admin"? For me, all kinds of problems were resolved when I uninstalled everything and reinstalled right-clicking on the respective "setup.exe" and selecting "Run as Administrator"...

Cheers

Edric

Hi Edric,

The remaining problems I have aren't with Trados. It's the Windows Update that's playing hard to get at the moment ;.)

Thanks for the installation tip, though. I'm probably going to have to reinstall everything soon anyway because of various hardware glitches. I'll try to remember to right-click when I do so!

Giles

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 7 64bit update from Microsoft

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search