Cannot view my translation
Thread poster: Andrea Gutiérrez

Andrea Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:18
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
Sep 27, 2010

Hi all,

I am translating a large .doc file with SDLX Freelance version. I wanted to start reviewing alongside translating it so I thought I could create/preview translation and then check it in word. I tried both options, but although SLD Edit works fine (at least it does not give any error messages), and even asks my confirmation to create the translation doc file, and says it has been successfully created I cannot even find it in the folder. It is not there. I tried on another computer but no success either. Has it ever happened to you? How have you solved it? Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Andrea

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
A possible explanation Sep 29, 2010

Hi Andrea,

I'm guessing that prepared the DOC file using the RTF filter of SDLX. There are cases when DOC files created, for instance in Word 2000, are converted to RTF files which are fine, but if you want to convert the RTF file back to DOC on a computer having Word 2003 for instance, you get a warning before the RTF opens successfully.

What SDLX does is to create an RTF file, then tries to convert the RTF file to DOC (without checking whether this conversion was successful or not) and then deletes the RTF file (supposing there should be the DOC version present now). As there is no error message handled in SDLX to explain what happened you are none the wiser and your file is nowhere to be found.

So, if you can convert the DOC file to RTF beforehand and then create the ITD you should be ok to work as you describe. In most cases, SDL Update or SDL Apply using new and old ITD file should fix the issue.

Another solution would be to use Studio

Regards

Paul

Andrea Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Sep 29, 2010

Hi Paul,

Well thanks for the explanation, I supposed the origin of the problem was Word, that was why I tried on another computer (with a different Word version). However, I tried what you said (saving the file in rtf format and then applying the old translation with SDL Update, and it worked! I have now my translation in front of me....

Thanks a lot.

Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot view my translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search