Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sep 29, 2010

G'day everyone

I have an Excel 2007 spreadsheet to translate, and some cells have more than one sentence in them. I don't want Trados to segment by sentence, however -- I want a whole cell to be represented by a whole segment in Trados. How do I do that, in Trados 2009?

Thanks
Samuel

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Why? Sep 29, 2010

Hi Samule,

I'm interested in knowing why you would like to do this? Maybe it will help to find a solution.

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-09-29 07:31 GMT]

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Switch to paragraph-based segmentation Sep 29, 2010

Hi Samuel

You can change the segmentation to be done on a paragraph basis. You do this in the Language Resources. Click on Settings of your TM and then Language Resources, the Segmentation rules and check the radio button "Use paragraph-enabled segmentation".

You'll have to reopen the Excel source after having changed the setting in order for the segmentation to take this into account.

And... do not forget to change it back before you do the next transl
... See more
Hi Samuel

You can change the segmentation to be done on a paragraph basis. You do this in the Language Resources. Click on Settings of your TM and then Language Resources, the Segmentation rules and check the radio button "Use paragraph-enabled segmentation".

You'll have to reopen the Excel source after having changed the setting in order for the segmentation to take this into account.

And... do not forget to change it back before you do the next translation project with this TM!

Walter
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Walter Sep 29, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Thanks. I knew paragraph segmentation would do it but I didn't know where to get it. Now I do:

1. Click Project Settings (somewhere near the middle of the screen)
2. Go to Language Pairs > [Your pair] > Translation Memory and Automated Translation
3. Click Setings
4. Go to [TM name] > Language Resources
5. Click Segmentation rules, and click Edit
6. Select Paragraph based segmentation, and click OK, OK, OK etc to back out of it.

And... do not forget to change it back before you do the next translation project with this TM!

Yes. It is interesting that one can't change to paragraph segmentation project-wide and leave the TMs' settings unchanged (so that you can use them across multiple projects, some of which use sentence and some of which use paragraph segmentation). Or can you?

Samuel

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@SDL Support Sep 29, 2010

SDL Support wrote:
I'm interested in knowing why you would like to do this?

For selfish reasons -- I want to use Trados 2009 to create an XLIFF file from the Excel file, and let the other tool take care of sentence segmentation if and when necessary. If the XLIFF file is already segmented, and there is a missegmentation, and the other tool does not support segment merging in the XLIFF itself, then you're stuck with a missegmentation.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The setting is TM specific and not project-specific Sep 29, 2010

It is interesting that one can't change to paragraph segmentation project-wide and leave the TMs' settings unchanged (so that you can use them across multiple projects, some of which use sentence and some of which use paragraph segmentation). Or can you?

Samuel

The way I understand it, this setting is TM specific, which means it applies every time you use this TM (regardless of the project). But, to be honest, I haven't yet tested whether it really works this way.

Might be worth trying for you as you work on this anyway.

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Disable sentence segmentation in Trados 2009

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »