Protecting spaces within tags
Thread poster: sophie_jane
sophie_jane
sophie_jane
Local time: 15:03
German to English
Sep 29, 2010

Hi,

I use Trados 2007 and when I translate a text in TagEditor, Trados automatically deletes spaces that are at the end of the tag.
It's not so easy to give an example, as the post recognises the tags as real tags and hides them!
e.g. (tag)Guten Tag (tag) goes to (tag)Hello(tag)

Is there any way to protect spaces within the tags as I can only find information about protecting the tags themselves.

Thanks for the help!

[Edited at 2010-09-29
... See more
Hi,

I use Trados 2007 and when I translate a text in TagEditor, Trados automatically deletes spaces that are at the end of the tag.
It's not so easy to give an example, as the post recognises the tags as real tags and hides them!
e.g. (tag)Guten Tag (tag) goes to (tag)Hello(tag)

Is there any way to protect spaces within the tags as I can only find information about protecting the tags themselves.

Thanks for the help!

[Edited at 2010-09-29 12:09 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
What do you mean by "automatically" Sep 30, 2010

I am not sure I understand what happens exactly. How did you get the tags into the source? Did you copy-paste them from the source or insert them manually?

If you have the text "This is an important aspect" and you translate it to "Das ist ein wichtiger Aspekt, there is a space between 'wichtiger' and the end tag in your source segment. Are you telling me that this space gets removed? At what stage does this happen?

Walter

sophie_jane
sophie_jane
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Better Explination Sep 30, 2010

Hi Walter!
I don't mean the spaces between the words, I mean at the end of the translation but within the tag there is a space in the German text and when I translate it into English and close this segment, this space disappears.
Using your example and an underscore to show where the space is at the end:

"Das ist ein wichtiger Aspekt_"
"This is an important aspect"

Hopefully that's explained it a bit better.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Sorry, I also meant the space within the tag .. Sep 30, 2010

... but in my example I enclosed the tags within greater smaller signs and these seem to be "swallowed" by the forum editor, so that you could not see them.

It should have read:

If you have the text "This is an (tag)important_(tag) aspect" and you translate it to "Das ist ein (tag)wichtiger_(tag) Aspekt", there is a space between 'wichtiger' and the end tag in your source segment.

So my question is: when does this space disappear? At the moment you close th
... See more
... but in my example I enclosed the tags within greater smaller signs and these seem to be "swallowed" by the forum editor, so that you could not see them.

It should have read:

If you have the text "This is an (tag)important_(tag) aspect" and you translate it to "Das ist ein (tag)wichtiger_(tag) Aspekt", there is a space between 'wichtiger' and the end tag in your source segment.

So my question is: when does this space disappear? At the moment you close the segment?

What kind of tag is following this space? Does this happen only with a specific tag or with all kinds of tags?

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Protecting spaces within tags

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »