How to let an entity appear in the translation table, when surrounded by two tags in XML
Thread poster: kirameister
Sep 29, 2010

I'm using Trados Studio 2009 SP2 - 9.1.1264.0 and having the following problem :

- I'm using XML as source (and target) file format
- In some XML files, there are entities, which are surrounded by 2 tags.
- For example, it'd be something like : <a href=...><bold>PLAIN TEXT</bold>&entity;</a>
- When I open the XML file and see it in the Editor view, I see the PLAIN TEXT, but not the &entity;
- Because I sometimes need to change the position of this &entity; within the <a> tag, I was looking for a way to make this &entity; visible in the translation table in Editor view.

So far, the only thing I could do was to use the entity conversion feature and convert this &entity; into an arbitrary letter. But the problem is that we have more than hundreds of those entities defined, and new entity can be added regularly.

I played around with the File Filter (creating a new XML filter and adding parsing rules), but it doesn't seem to be capable of solving this issue. Is there anything I could do?

Direct link Reply with quote

kirameister
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - need to choose "All content" for display Sep 29, 2010

After exchanging emails with SDL support team, the problem has been solved.

You need to :

(1) Go to the Editor view
(2) On the "Display" menu (shown at the top part of the display by default), choose "All content"
(3) The entities are shown in the translation table, which you can change the position from one place to another.

Many thanks for the support team!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 06:06
French to German
+ ...
This option is in the 'Display Filter' Sep 29, 2010

Just a small clarification to this: the option you refer to is available in the 'Display toolbar', which is (unfortunately) not displayed by default.
You can enable this toolbar by going to the menu 'View - Toolbars' and clicking on 'DisplayFilter' (you need to be in the Editor and have an open document in order to be able to do this).

I suggest everyone to activate this toolbar as it is extremely useful (it allows you for example to show only the non-confirmed segments or show only segments that contain a given text, etc.)

Walter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to let an entity appear in the translation table, when surrounded by two tags in XML

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search