Japamerican  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2010

Hello!

Thanks in advance!

I am using Trados 2007, and this deals with TagEditor.

When I was translating, I guess I typed something on my keyboard which turned on this function of having a dot between each translated English word.
This dot is not like the dot (.) of a period. It's more like a floating period in the center like (-) only except it's a dot.

This dot does not get reflected in the target file, but it is just annoying to see this dot everytime you hit SPACE.

I did a quick search, and nothing came up, so if you could please help me, that would be great.

Thanks!

Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Nonprinting characters Sep 29, 2010

Is it possible that the function "Show Nonprinting Characters" is activated?

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nicole! Solved the problem. Sep 29, 2010

Hi Nicole!

Thank you for your suggestion!

It was actually the "Show white space" option which was enabled as a result of some keyboard shortcut I did.

I guess it meant to say "Show space as text" option.

Thanks Nicole!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:37
French to German
+ ...
"Show whitespace" is a very useful function Sep 30, 2010

Takeru Asakawa wrote:
This dot does not get reflected in the target file, but it is just annoying to see this dot everytime you hit SPACE.

Why annoying? This is a very useful function that allows you for example to spot unintended double spaces or distinguish between a normal and a nonbreakable space. I am sure that a lot of people would be very unhappy if it did not exist.

If you want to see the text as it looks printed, simply temporarily switch the function off. It's just one click on the toolbar.

Walter

United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Walter Sep 30, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

Takeru Asakawa wrote:

Why annoying? This is a very useful function that allows you for example to spot unintended double spaces or distinguish between a normal and a nonbreakable space. I am sure that a lot of people would be very unhappy if it did not exist.

If you want to see the text as it looks printed, simply temporarily switch the function off. It's just one click on the toolbar.

Walter

Hi Walter!

I didn't meant to offend anybody who uses this function.
I just meant to say for my immediate need, it was counter productive.

But I am sure one day I might need this function myself, so cheers to Trados.
I was just frustrated in the beginning as I did not know how to turn this function off.

Thanks Walter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When using TagEditor, a dot appears between each translated English Word

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search