https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/181667-footnotes_in_word_2003.html

Footnotes in Word 2003
Thread poster: Michel de Goey
Michel de Goey
Michel de Goey  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 30, 2010

I worked almost a month on a large Word file (44k words), with a complicated footnote system. After recreating the file from Trados Studio 2009 SP2 all the footnotes appear to be 'shifted'; they now refer to the wrong items. The references are marked like #, @, K or +. When I now hold the mouse over e.g. the 'K', the text with '@' is shown in floating text line that appears above the cursor. Only the first two pages are correct.
- I tried to repair the document in Word 2007 and 2010. No l
... See more
I worked almost a month on a large Word file (44k words), with a complicated footnote system. After recreating the file from Trados Studio 2009 SP2 all the footnotes appear to be 'shifted'; they now refer to the wrong items. The references are marked like #, @, K or +. When I now hold the mouse over e.g. the 'K', the text with '@' is shown in floating text line that appears above the cursor. Only the first two pages are correct.
- I tried to repair the document in Word 2007 and 2010. No luck.
- I tried to copy/paste the references from the original. Doesn't work.

I am out of my depth here. Does anybody have experience with this kind of footnote system?
The client is very unhappy and I'm afraid of losing a month worth of work over footnotes...
Collapse

Haris Nasibullin
Haris Nasibullin
Local time: 03:31
English to Russian
Suppose you used hyperlinks Sep 30, 2010

I suppose that you made a wrong job.
The footnotes are not made with the help of #, @, K or +.
I suppose you made simple hyper links.
Maybe it is better to create new footnotes.
You can also try to make all the footnotes at the end of the text.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
This could be a RTF help document Sep 30, 2010

What kind of document is this?

From your description, this sounds to me as a RTF help document. RTF help uses such codes for cross-references.

If that is the case, you should not treat these as footnotes, but as RTF links, otherwise the translated text will never recompile and your client will be very unhappy.

I suggest you check with him what kind of document this is and what you are supposed to do with it.

Walter

Michel de Goey
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the replies Sep 30, 2010

I received the files as Word documents and carefully kept the Tags intact (learned that lesson earlier). And yes it is a help document with countless hyperlinks on top of the footnotes.
@Hna. I didn't create this document; just translated it. So creating new footnotes is not an option.

At the moment I am copying/pasting the translated text (page by page) into the original document; so leaving the footnotes intact.
Got to do something and compared to a month work...

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The client should have instructed you Sep 30, 2010

If the document is in fact a RTF help document, the client should have instructed you because not knowing how to deal with such files can have disastrous consequences. The problem is not only that you need to preserve these references, but you also need to know what is translatable and what not. As an example, there are the names of the cross-references and they should not be translated because this would break the link.

It unfortunately happens quite often simply because the clien
... See more
If the document is in fact a RTF help document, the client should have instructed you because not knowing how to deal with such files can have disastrous consequences. The problem is not only that you need to preserve these references, but you also need to know what is translatable and what not. As an example, there are the names of the cross-references and they should not be translated because this would break the link.

It unfortunately happens quite often simply because the client does not give proper instructions to the translator and one cannot expect from him to be an expert in the localisation of HELP systems.

Walter
Collapse

Michel de Goey
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem identified Sep 30, 2010

Thank you for your remarks Walter.
I received help from SDL and the problem was identified. Again, it was a Tag problem. Apparently I didn't notice all the tags. There is an additional function in Trados I have not switched on.

Thank you for your replies and thanks to SDL for an unexpected and very welcome intervention!
Looks like a month work was saved!
Michel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Footnotes in Word 2003

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »