Nasty Studio (SP2/3?) Bug with Indesign Filter & Multiterm
Thread poster: Susanne Rieg

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
English to German
+ ...
Sep 30, 2010

I have posted two separate issues here:

http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/177497-cant_add_term_within_studio_2009-page3.html

It is no longer possible to enter or edit terms in Termbase Viewer.

and here:

http://deu.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/181486-studio_failed_to_create_framework_.html

Indesign INX files prepared in Tageditor will cause an Error with the QuickInserts.

Now I have the sad confirmation that these problems are directly linked and reproducible.

We have two PCs with Studio updated to SP3, but I am now not really sure any longer that this is an SP3 problem. So far the problem was on one PC and we tried to fix it in vain.

Now the exact same sequence of events has occurred on the second PC. This is what happens:

1) You open a project with INX.TTX files in Studio.
2) If you open one of these INX.TTX.sdlxliff files in the Editor you get the Error message:
QuickInserts will not be available. Failed to create Framework 1 plug-in filter components.
Java class not found:
com/trados/filters/interfaces/CustomInfoProperties
[File type ID: TRADOS Indesign Filter 1.0.0.0]

3) You can ignore the message and continue to work on the file
4) Studio crashes
5) If you restart Studio, connections to Multiterm are broken. No termbases are shown and you cannot enter any terms
6) You can repair Studio 2009 and Multiterm 2009 via the control panel and register SDLTrados 2007 and the only thing that is eventually reactivated is term recognition.

The KB article: http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2679&p=1
covers fixing the problem with the QuickInserts and the filter framework but does not help with the broken Multiterm - Term Viewer connection.

We now have both of the Studio installations without term entry capability in Studio and are desperately waiting for some solution...

(BTW complete deinstallation and reinstallation of Studio 2009 SP3 and Multiterm 2009 SP3 did not solve the problem and the correct Java version 1.6.0.14 and NET version 3.51 are installed)

Sanne

PS, just want to point out, this problem ONLY occurs with Indesign/TTX type translations. If you open another project based on another file format, term entry is possible in Term Viewer!

[Bearbeitet am 2010-09-30 18:29 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
The SDL fix doesn't work for me Feb 8, 2011

I'm experiencing this problem too (except for the TermViewer part -- I'm not working in Studio right now, so I can't confirm or disagree).

Studio 2009 will not directly import any inx files (now from two different sources, so the inx's are not the problem!!) without crashing (Java class not found: com/trados/filters/interfaces/CustomInfoProperties).

If I generate TTX's from Trados 2007, then Studio 2009 complains that "QuickInserts will not be available." I can translate, but if I try to save the target file, Studio 2009 crashes completely without saving anything.

No success or change after running the register SDL 2007 routine...

So now I'm working in Trados 2007 again -- a trip down memory lane :-/

-Mike-

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
KB article Feb 8, 2011

Hi

Can you confirm that Cumulative Update 9 or 10 was installed? Please see following KB article:
http://kb.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=3353&p=1

Excerpt:

Under Tools > Options > Java Runtime Engine Startup a new option called Start Java Runtime Engine when starting up SDL Trados Studio is now available. This option has been developed for more robust termbase editing and is related to the handling of Java-based components in SDL Trados Studio.
Recommendations for using this new option are as follows:
By default, this new option is selected. This means that when starting up Studio, the JRE will be launched at the same time. This is the recommended setting for adding or editing terms from within the Studio environment as it ensures the fastest and most robust initialization of the JRE when adding/editing terms. For instance, Attempted to
read or write protected memory errors should no longer occur when trying to add or edit terms.

If you uncheck this option and restart SDL Trados Studio, the JRE will no longer be loaded at the same time as starting Studio. This is the recommended setting for using the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) Size options in the Adobe INX file type settings.

These settings are otherwise ignored during startup as it is impossible to start the JRE with these settings. Defining these JVM settings can be useful for fine-tuning the memory requirements of the JRE when it comes to handling large INX files. You only need to work with this option if you translate large INX documents and are getting error messages about files being too large for processing. In general, SDL recommends that you use the new IDML fillter for processing Adobe InDesign CS4 or CS5 documents. The new IDML filter no longer uses Java as a programming language and therefore is not prone to the JVM issues seen in the INX filter.

Note that after changing the new JRE startup setting, you must restart SDL Trados Studio for the setting to take effect.

Susanne Rieg  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Attempted to read or write protected memory still there Feb 9, 2011

SDL Support wrote:
For instance, Attempted to read or write protected memory errors should no longer occur when trying to add or edit terms.

I am on CU10 now and I did not have any INX files to translate since that last problem. However, the above "Attempted to read or write protected memory" problem does still occur. I assume it is because of my very large Mutiterm TBs containing usually around 15000 terms and more plus I use several of them at the same time in projects.

Unfortunately, this error will always lead to Studio freezing. If I did create one or more new projects during that session I always have to add these projects once more to the project list, as Studio "forgets" the link to the projects with a crash....

SDL Support wrote:
The new IDML filter no longer uses Java as a programming language and therefore is not prone to the JVM issues seen in the INX filter.

Great, any chance you cound "de-Java" Multiterm, too???

Sanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nasty Studio (SP2/3?) Bug with Indesign Filter & Multiterm

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search