Studio 2009 and Word 2003 - How to translate hidden text?
Thread poster: NFontan
NFontan
German to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

Dear all,

I am translating Word documents (2003) with Studio 2009. These Word documents contain metadata that will later serve to produce a html online help. Although most of the information displayed as hidden text on my source documents must remain untraslated, some of the segments must be translated.

Studio considers these segments as non-translatable.

Unfortunately, I cannot simply replace Hiddent text with Not hidden text in Word, as I need these segment to be hidden on my target documents as well. So I must somehow bring Studio to recognize these segments as translatable.

Can anyone help me? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks
Natacha

Direct link Reply with quote

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:50
English to Hungarian
I would do this Oct 1, 2010

I would replace hidden texts with something else, for example strikethrough (not hidden) in Word, would translate in Studio, and replace strikethrough with hidden texts in the translated text.

NFontan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, replacing does not work Oct 4, 2010

Hi Istvan,

I already tried this. The hidden style I need to translate contains much metadata, that is, it is not only hidden but has also specific character style parameters (predefined by Doc-To-Help, my authoring tool to create online user documentation) that are lost during this conversion.
I am afraid, the only way to keep all meta-information on my translated document is bringing Studio to translate this particular type of hidden text.

But thanks anyway for your suggestion!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Delete the tag and add the text? Oct 4, 2010

Hi,

I just tested a simple file. If I have text that is a hidden font then the text will show in Studio but it is inside a tag. If I delete the tag in the target segment and then just type my translation it will still appear in the target, but it won't be hidden anymore. Maybe you could make a note of the places where this happens and then hide them afterwards in the target? Might work if you don't have too many?

Regards

Paul

NFontan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possibility in Studio-Project Settings-File Types? Oct 4, 2010

Hi Paul,

thanks for your contribution. I do have too many (thousands!!!!) of such segments, so your suggestion will not work

I have found the following settings in Studio: Project Settings>File Types>Microsoft Word 2000-2003>other Settings>Process hyperlinks dropdown list.

Could this be a possibility to process the hiperlinks so that they become translatable?

Thanks for your help.
Natacha

United Kingdom
English
How do you know what is translatable and what is not? Oct 4, 2010

Hi Natacha,

Is there a rule of some kind that makes it obvious what should be translated and what should not? Can I see a copy of your file? You can email it to me at pfilkin@sdl.com

Regards

Paul

NFontan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Syntax to indicate link-hidden text Oct 4, 2010

Hi Paul,

yes, there is. The syntax is always the same. I'll e-mail you a sample document and an explanation.

Thanks!
Natacha

United Kingdom
English
Translating hidden text in Studio Oct 4, 2010

Hi Natalia,

Now I’m clear. I can also confirm that we don’t have a way to handle this in Studio at the moment. If you think we should be able to show hidden text, or have an option for this please feel free to add an idea here – http://ideas.sdl.com/ - it’ll get my vote after seeing your file..! We are introducing this into the new Open Office Filter so I’ve already suggested we add this into the Word Filter too. It was well received by the Product Manager for Filters.

One thing we did think of would be for you to do a find and replace the hidden text with a new style. Then you can see and translate what you need, then finally go back to your target document and select the new style and make it all hidden again.

I know you can do this in MSWord 2007 and below (to some version number) but have just discovered to my dismay that Word 2010 had removed this capability so I can’t show you. Apparently it’s now on the product backlog for Microsoft to put it back..!

Regards

Paul

NFontan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Oct 4, 2010

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for your interest!

Natacha

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Status? Dec 14, 2010

I bumped into the same problem: my file has hidden text that I would like shown in the editor as translatable.
Has this been implemented in the meantime?
If not, is there an idea on ideas.sdl.com I can support?

NFontan
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workaround found Dec 15, 2010

Hallo,

As far as I know, this hasn't been implemented yet. However, I have found a workaround that might work for you too.
In my case, I needed to translate the hidden part of a link (where the syntax determines the target of a jump). Replacing this with a different style and then reverting it to the original style did not work, as Doc-To-Help seems not to recognize the resulting style anymore after these changes (event if it has the same name and contains exactly the same definitions!). So I simply replaced some of the attributes of the affected style with different ones. In this case, the font color (to be able to revert this conversion again) and Hidden with Not-hidden.
I have two further steps when translating my documents with Studio 2009 now. First, replacing the style definitions in my original documents and then replacing them again in my targets. But at least it works.

I have posted this on ideas.sdl with the following title: "Certain types of hidden text must be translatable"

United Kingdom
English
The idea Dec 15, 2010

NFontan wrote:

I have posted this on ideas.sdl with the following title: "Certain types of hidden text must be translatable"

http://ideas.sdl.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=3438

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
hyperlinks Dec 15, 2010

NFontan wrote:

In my case, I needed to translate the hidden part of a link (where the syntax determines the target of a jump).

Hyperlinks are supported by default. I think he URL is supposed to be presented to you in a separate segment after the segment that contains the link.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 and Word 2003 - How to translate hidden text?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search