Manon Gagne-Kellman  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:53
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
Oct 2, 2010

Good morning,

I have been using this system for a year now and usually when I need unclean files with both my languages showing I open and save with TagEditor. I have finished working on a big project from a Word document, all was saved and cleaned, etc. But now, I must provide the unclean file, I have no clue how to do this. Can anyone give me the steps to do this?

Thanks for your precious help.

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 23:53
French to German
+ ...
The SDLXLIFF file you work on IS the unclean file Oct 2, 2010

The file you work on in the Editor of Studio is your "unclean file" as it is the bilingual file, so there is nothing special you need to do.

Whenever you open a source document, e.g. in Word, Studio converts it to a bilingual SDLXLIFF. This is the file you work on during your project. Only at the end, when you do the "Save as target" or "Finalize", Studio creates the cleaned target Word document.

If you need to deliver the "unclean file", simply send the SDLXLIFF file t
... See more
The file you work on in the Editor of Studio is your "unclean file" as it is the bilingual file, so there is nothing special you need to do.

Whenever you open a source document, e.g. in Word, Studio converts it to a bilingual SDLXLIFF. This is the file you work on during your project. Only at the end, when you do the "Save as target" or "Finalize", Studio creates the cleaned target Word document.

If you need to deliver the "unclean file", simply send the SDLXLIFF file to your client.
Obviously, this requires that your client also works with Studio.

If he still uses the 2007 version and requires an uncleaned TTX, he should send you a TTX already (which you can also translate using Studio) or you should open the Word in Tag Editor to create a TTX before you translate it in Studio.

If you open a TTX file in Studio, you can save it back as TTX, but if you open a source file, you cannot, because it automatically gets converted to SDLXLIFF and you cannot convert the SDLXLIFF to TTX.

Walter
Collapse

Manon Gagne-Kellman
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 2, 2010

Thank you so much and have a wonderful weekend!

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Workflow in case your client doesn't use Studio Oct 3, 2010

Walter Blaser wrote:

...If you need to deliver the "unclean file", simply send the SDLXLIFF file to your client.
Obviously, this requires that your client also works with Studio.

If your client doesn't use Studio, and he hasn't sent you a TTX, and he suddenly announces at the end of the translation that he requires an unclean file (this happened to me recently), there are a couple of ways around it, but the easiest one is as follows:

In Studio, set up for this project a new, clean, second TM, and set it to Update.

Update the translation memories for this project.

Export the newly created translation memory.

Then use the exported TM in Translator's Workbench to reprocess the original clean Word file (runs through automatically without input from you). You end up with an unclean file that your client will be happy with.

It's a bit of a fiddle, but it does work.

The hard thing is to remember in future to ask in advance when you receive a Word file whether they will want it delivered as an unclean file!

Jane

[Edited at 2010-10-03 14:09 GMT]

Min Xuanping
Min Xuanping  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
print preview Oct 3, 2010

I have been using Trados studio 2009 for two years. I use "print preview" to get uncleaned bilingual file, I do not know if it works for you.

Manon Gagne-Kellman
Canada
Member (2009)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Received answers Oct 4, 2010

Thanks for all of these great responses. They certainly will be printed and kept for any other future request like this.

Have a great week.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:53
English to Thai
+ ...
Editing SDLXLIFF unclean file without Studio Oct 4, 2010

Just as a short information in case your client needs to edit translation without using Trados Studio 2009, open it with Notepad: SDLXLIFF is a XML format file. Editing is better visible in Word [with Trace Change etc.]. You can feed back edited parts in your SDLXLIFF file you have done the translation.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Another workflow without a CAT for review Oct 4, 2010

Hi,

Just to add another idea, it is also possible to use a free tool that is available in the OpenExchange called the Bilingual Preview Generator;

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/

This tool allows you to export an SDLXLIFF (or an SDLPROJ so that all the files in your Project can be exported at t
... See more
Hi,

Just to add another idea, it is also possible to use a free tool that is available in the OpenExchange called the Bilingual Preview Generator;

http://www.sdl.com/en/language-technology/partners/sdl-openexchange/

This tool allows you to export an SDLXLIFF (or an SDLPROJ so that all the files in your Project can be exported at the same time) in one of three formats (or all three formats);

• Microsoft Word
  • Microsoft Excel
  • XML

You will get the source in the left column, the target in the right column and third, and any comments in another column. The Microsoft Word option also allows you the choice of viewing the source and target in horizontal mode with source above target which might be better for a reviewer.

We have a new version of this tool in test at the moment that allows you to import the reviewed target segments back in again which avoids manually editing the file so you can use all of Microsoft Words editing features, including commenting, compare and track changes; then just import the changes and update the status in Studio.

Maybe this would be better than editing the SDLXLIFF in notepad?

Regards

Paul

[Edited at 2010-10-04 05:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 need unclean file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »