How can I use a TM in .txt format in Studio?
Thread poster: Sandrine Ananie

Sandrine Ananie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:37
Member (2009)
English to French
Oct 2, 2010

Hi,

This may well be a very simple question for all of you, but I really need your help.

A client has sent me a TM in .txt format, asking me to use it for a job. I use Studio, and as far as I know TMs are in .sdltm in Studio. So how can I use this TM?

Many thanks for your help,

Sandrine

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Upgrade the TM Oct 2, 2010

Hi Sandrine,

If you use Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories you will see that *.txt is one of the supported formats.

Regards

Paul

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 2, 2010

Thanks for your help, Paul, but I did not install Trados 2007. Is there any way I can do it without Trados 2007?

Thanks again,

Sandrine

Abrigela
Hungarian to English
+ ...
I think you need 2007 Oct 2, 2010

But once it's installed it doesn't need to be used. I leave mine in the depths of my computer and only have it there for upgrades.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
You do need the 2007 version to upgrade TMs Oct 2, 2010

Is there any way I can do it without Trados 2007?

Unfortunately not, but installing Trados 2007 should be a breeze. Simply run the installer and wait until it is installed, then activate it and off you go.

The other question is: why did your client send you the TM in .TXT format. Is he still working with 2007? If that is the case and he is not working with Studio, he might expect you to send him back 2007-style bilingual files (TTX or bilingual Word), which you cannot do with Studio.

I suggest therefore that the first and very important thing you clarify is which software your client is using before doing the job in order to avoid future surprises.

Walter

Andrea Flaßbeck  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You don't need Trados 2007 Oct 2, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Sandrine,

If you use Tools - Upgrade Translation Memories you will see that *.txt is one of the supported formats.

Regards

Paul

Just open Studio and follow Paul's instructions.

Cheers,
Andrea

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The Upgrade function in Studio requires that 2007 be installed Oct 2, 2010

Just open Studio and follow Paul's instructions.

Cheers,
Andrea

Sorry Andrea, but this does not work because Sandrine does not have 2007 installed on her machine. It is true that the button to 'Upgrade Translation Memories' sits in the toolbar of Studio 2009, but if the 2007 version is not installed on the same PC, clicking on this button will return an error message. The function calls up on some modules of 2007.

Walter

Andrea Flaßbeck  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I see Oct 2, 2010

It is true that the button to 'Upgrade Translation Memories' sits in the toolbar of Studio 2009, but if the 2007 version is not installed on the same PC, clicking on this button will return an error message. The function calls up on some modules of 2007.

Walter

OK, sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

France
Member (2009)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone! Oct 2, 2010

Thanks a lot for all your answers. I'll look into Trados 2007 tomorrow (never bothered about it before as Studio alone was enough for what I needed to do).

@Walter: I discussed this with the client. I will receive Word files (this is an editing job) and will implement changes in those same files. The TM is needed to ensure consistency of slogans, titles etc. (though I hope the translator will have taken care of this).

Thanks again,

Sandrine

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this... Oct 5, 2010

Hope your file is similar to that of mine, on which this was tested. If not, sorry.

Open the file in Word and by the use of Edit/Find and Replace function delete some parts that are not needed.

Quotation marks are not part of the expressions below. In 2. EN-GB should be replaced by your source, in 3. HU with your target language code.

1. Find: „\{*\}”, Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
2. Find: „\</TrU\>*EN-GB\>” Replace with: (leave blank) (Wildcard checked)
3. Find: „^p<Seg_L=HU>” Replace with:”#” (Wildcard: not checked)
4. Select and delete everything that is in front of your first source sentence.
5. Select the whole text, go to Table/Convert Text to Table, choose 2 columns and # as the separator. If everything has been OK, after the conversion you will have the source as well as the target segments in separate columns, ready to be converted into sdltm with any (perhaps free) aligner. (Using aligners is often discussed on these pages).

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Why Oct 5, 2010

don't you request a .tmx file from your customer?

[Edited at 2010-10-05 12:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use a TM in .txt format in Studio?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search