SDL Trados Studio 2009 Free Starter Edition - Activation problem
Thread poster: Annett Hieber

Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:09
English to German
Oct 3, 2010

Good morning to all,

I signed up for the Studio 2009 Free Starter Edition which I can use for 6 months free of charge and then decide whether to buy an upgrade. I downloaded it from my account with SDL in which was also shown the activation code. There were no problems with the download, however, when I was asked for my activation code and I entered it, I received the following error message:

"Could not contact activation server (Error code 50040)".

I contacted SDL support about this, but did not yet receive a reply.

Did anyone else have the same problem and could help me out here?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated!

Annett

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Check that your firewall does not block the access Oct 3, 2010

This error message usually indicates a communication problem. Your firewall might be blocking the access.

Try to disable the firewall temporarily and try again. If it works, you can re-enable it afterwards.

BTW: Did you install another copy of Studio before on this PC? I ask because after a first-time installation, you should not need to activate for the first 30 days as the SW runs as a full-fledged professional version for the first 30 days. But this only works if you never had any copy of Studio installed on this PC.

Walter

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
I'm afraid that did not work Oct 3, 2010

Hello Walter,

Thanks fo your advice. I tried that, but it did not work. And I haven't installed Studio 2009 before. I have a regular license of Trados 2007 Freelance running. But that shouldn't be a problem.

Annett

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
If you never had Studio 2009 installed on this PC ... Oct 3, 2010

... then the installation you just did should run for 30 days without asking you to activate it.
What choices does your prompt include: only "Buy the product" and "Enter an activation code"?

Strange?

Walter

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, so it is Oct 4, 2010

...those two options are shown. I don't understand it either. Why was I given an activation code when it does not work?

Thanks anyway for your help!

Annett

[Edited at 2010-10-04 12:09 GMT]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Activation Oct 4, 2010

Hello Annett,
the activation code should be working. The error message you have received simply means that your computer cannot connect to the SDL activation server. In my experience, there are some hours now and then when the activation server is down. Have you tried activating your copy of Studio recently again?

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did. Oct 4, 2010

Hi Stanislav,

Actually, I have been trying now for 3 days and do not understand what happens. I will try it once more this evening and perhaps tomorrow.

Thanks for helping.

Annett

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Windows Firewall and Security Software (Antivirus) Oct 4, 2010

Hi Annett,

I have just checked our support database because I wondered why nobody had been in touch for this issue after 3-days but we cannot find a case for you on the system. Did you contact support?

On your issue. Sometimes the problem can be something other than the SDL Activation Server as downtime tends to be a few minutes rather than hours or days. Please can you make sure that your firewall, Antivirus or other security software is deactivated. This tends to be the most common reason for this error.

If it still fails after this let me know and I will engage a support engineer to look at this and see if we can sort out the problem for you.

Regards

Paul

miriamgauci
Malta
Italian to English
+ ...
'Could not contact activation server (Error code 50040)'. Oct 8, 2011

Hey, it just happened to me as well. Please let me know if you find a solution - it's really unexpected.

Also, on my SDL account under 'My Licences' it says that the activation code is currently in use!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Use the solution finder to get help Oct 8, 2011

Hi,

Go to the Knowledgebase;

http://kb.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- I receive an error message related to activating or returning my license, or I have an issue related to product activation.
-- I get error message 50040 during license activation.
--- I have tried the solution in the articles, but I still get the error message.
---- I have waited more than 30 minutes after returning my license before I tried activating my software.

You may find that some of the suggested solutions will help you, but if not then at the end of this process you will be presented with a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a (working) day.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Free Starter Edition - Activation problem

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search