Thread poster: Carolin Haase

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:24
English to German
+ ...
Oct 3, 2010

Dear all,

Trados 2006 doesn't clean up the file (Word 2003); processing starts, but in the end the file is just as unclean as before. Went through the entire text twice, redoing it. What am I to do?

Thanks so much for useful help!
Carolin

[Edited at 2010-10-03 16:49 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados tags might be corrupt Oct 3, 2010

After cleaning up the file, check the .bak file for marks in light green that could point to the place where the error is located. I can also help you clean the file if you wish.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Do the cleanup in Word ... Oct 3, 2010

by using the Cleanup macro. First, save the bilingual Word file under a different name, e.g. with extension _bi, then run the macro and save the cleaned file.

Usually, this method always works, as long as your tags are not corrupted. I suggest you do a "Fix document" first.

Walter

[Bearbeitet am 2010-10-03 16:55 GMT]

Els Hoefman  Identity Verified
English to Dutch
+ ...
Macro tw4winClean.Main Oct 3, 2010

Run the macro tw4winClean.Main in Word - it should be in your list of macros. That should do the trick.

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
English to German
+ ...
cleanup of Trados file in Word Oct 3, 2010

Els Hoefman wrote:

Run the macro tw4winClean.Main in Word - it should be in your list of macros. That should do the trick.

NOT SURE IF THIS WILL HELP FURTHER:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/CAT-Tools/Trados/FAQ/How_to_clean_up_a_file_created_with_Trados_without_using_the_"Clean_up"-option?

Here is the actual link with a tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/2vdrfj6

here is the text you find there:
Open the file with word (after having created a copy) and then go to the macro-section; there you will find a macro called:

tw4winClean.Main

Execute this macro to delete the original text and the Trados-tags. There is no need to have Trados Workbench open to execute the macro.

Further question to that theme by LES:
But why would someone want to do that?
--> Sometimes it happens that Trados just won't clean up your document with its normal routine - so you can do it manually. This happens quite frequently with huge files. So it's a workaround and should always be done with a copy of the file. Attention: it does NOT update the TM.

Emphasis on FIRST create a copy of your file.

here is a link to another forum thread about file clean-up failure in Trados:
http://fra.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/170363-urgent_trados_excel_file_clean_up_failure.html

Gruß,
Bernhard

[Edited at 2010-10-03 17:28 GMT]

Carolin Haase  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Oct 3, 2010

so much for your help!

After much copying and pasting and cleaning up little parts, I found out one of the little markers (correct term?) was damaged. But I will definitely give all your recommendations a try, tomorrow.

Thanks so much again and have a nice sunday evening!

Grüße aus Berlin
Carolin

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:24
English to German
+ ...
when Trados clean-up fails, check all the tags Oct 3, 2010

Carolin Haase wrote:

so much for your help!

After much copying and pasting and cleaning up little parts, I found out one of the little markers (correct term?) was damaged. But I will definitely give all your recommendations a try, tomorrow.

Thanks so much again and have a nice sunday evening!

Grüße aus Berlin
Carolin

Hi Carolin,

Yes, it's important that all "tags" are intact - so checking that is an important task if clean-up or other tasks fail.

Good luck und
Alles Gute,

Bernhard

[Edited at 2010-10-03 17:35 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2006 not cleaning up - URGENT!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search