Vibeke Degn-P  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 16:35
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2010

Hi!
I have just won a large translation project. It's a book, the source file is InDesign, the target should be InDesign and the project is perfect for Trados.
So my questions are:
I have Trados Studio 2009. Does it work with InDesign?
If it does, is there a prefered version of InDesign? (I am an experienced InDesign user, but never tried it with Trados.)
Are there special tricks and stuff to do in order to make Trados and InDesign work together?
In short: HELP!
Kind regards,
Vibeke

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio and InDesign will work together Oct 4, 2010

For InDesign CS2-CS3 you need to export the text als INX, for CS4 and CS5 you should use the IDML format.
As usual you will need to make sure there are no hard returns in the middle of sentences.
It is also advisable to remove manual hyphens, kerning and spacing from the formatting.
Check also, if the files are "properly" formatted, as usual with any other format.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Preferred versions of InDesign Oct 4, 2010

Hi Vibeke,

The preferred format would be IDML. However Studio can work with certain versions of INX too. Do you know what version of InDesign you have been given? Based on your post it sounds as though you have received the INDD so you would either need a copy of InDesign to get INX or IDML, or ask your client for the preferred format..

Regards

Paul

Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Outsourcer changed his mind Oct 18, 2010

Thank you for really good answers about InDesign and Trados.
Well, my publishing house has now received the source files, and they are Quark ver.6,5...!
So I am once again asking: Will Quark 6,5 work with Trados Studio 2009? And if so - how does it work (changing file type, getting the target file in Quark again etc.)
Begging for good info!
Vibeke

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You need an exporting utility for QuarkXPress 6.5 Oct 18, 2010

Depending on the plattform you may get a solution by NAPSYS, called CopyFlowGold.
If QXP is Mac-based, you could also try to find a free SDL utility called SDL Xtract, however that one seems to have dissapeared from the net and on top is not recommended for working with QQXP by experts.
After having got Copy Flow Gold you install it, extract tagged text from QXP, create a TTX file with Trados 2007, translate that one with Studio, save it as target and import to QXP. Eine gute Beschreibung des Arbeitsflusses enthält die in der Trados-Programmgruppe unter Dokumentation enthaltene Dateie File Formats Reference Guide.

Norway
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wow Oct 18, 2010

It's not supposed to be easy, is it...
But the content is perfect for Trados (the repetitions are endless...), so I'll just have to try. Thank you very much!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
QXP is not easy to handle Oct 18, 2010

Unfortunately QXP-files are far less resistant for editing than InDesign or Framemaker.
Is your Quark a PC version? If you have QXP for Mac as source, you need at least to postprocess it on Mac...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and InDesign

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search