Studio 2009 - Packages and TM
Thread poster: AnneWL
Oct 4, 2010

Hi,

I have a version of Studio2009 at work and one at home (not on a network).
I never worked with packages before.
Since I basically use the same main TM for most of my translation, I saved a copy of it both at work and at home. Previously, whenever I had worked with my TM, I use to send a copy at work or home to keep it updated on both PC.
However, I started to use the Package option. For the project, I selected my main TM.
My question is this: Is my main TM automatically updated when I work with packages? I did translate some docs in the package but when I select my main TM by itself and do a concordance search, I cannot find my translations.

When working with packages of projects to which you assigned your main TM, isn't the main TM updated for the person who worked on the package and the one who recieved the pacakeg back?

Hope this makes sense.

Thank you to anyone who can help,

Anne.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:28
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Updating TM is not necessarily connected to "packages" Oct 4, 2010

You should simply pay attention to if during the project preparation (BTW this is not a "package" option - with the freelance version you cannot create packages) a project tm is created. This is the standard option for Trados Studio freelance - so most certainly your translation has updated the project tm.
After your translation is finished you can easily update the main tm - use the correpsonding batch task. Then you can copy that tm from one computer to anoter.

AnneWL
TOPIC STARTER
Updating the TMs from pacakges Oct 4, 2010

Thank you Jerzy for your answer.
I have a Freelance version at home and Professional one at work. I created the package at work (Professional) than open it at home with the Freelance one.

You say to "update the main tm - use the correpsonding batch task". I wonder, if it's not too much trouble, if you tell me where I can find this option.

I've been using Trados for about 15 years. However, I never used the previous Synergy interface. I thought that using the Project interface in Studio 2009 would be helpful but if a project TM is created each time and I need to update my main TM each time, I wonder if it's worth it...

Thanks again!

Anne.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Packages are meant for exchange with external translators Oct 4, 2010

Anne

I don't think using the project package approach is the right thing for you as this has been designed to exchange projects between a translation project manager and a translator. You might also run into a problem because a user cannot open packages that he has created himself, the creating user and the opening user must be different.

In your case, I would simply put the project folder as well as the TM in a shared folder to which you have access from both computers (or take these folders with you on an external disk or USB stick).

The batch task Jerzy referred to can be found in Project - Batch tasks or in the right-click context menu on the project line in the 'Projects' view. One of the batch tasks is 'Update Main Translation Memory" and the most important one, which you should always execute when you have finished a project, is "Finalize".

Walter

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Using projects is very helpfull Oct 4, 2010

To update the tm simply go to Project menu, chose Batch tasks and Update main TM.
As you are using projects and creating packages for your own use maybe you would like to go an easier way.
This way works however only if the folder structure on both computers is EXACTLY the same. If so, you can simply keep copying the folder with your complete project from one computer to another. When you for example create a project at home copy the project folder to your work computer and double click the sdlproj file - this will load the project in your work computer. When you go home, take that folder with you, copy it on your home PC, where you obviously overwrite the existing files and continue working there. Repeat that procedure as many times as necessary. When project is finished, use Update main TM batch task to update your main TM and populate this one to another pc.

AnneWL
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 5, 2010

Walter, Jerzy,

Thank you both for this helpful information. I will go back to my old ways and, as Walter mentioned, copy my files and Tm in a folder.

MERCI!

Anne.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Packages and TM

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search