What does the word "following" have to do with "Liechtenstein"?
Thread poster: Ines Burrell

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:01
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 4, 2010

Not much, you would say? So I thought, but for some strange reason this is the second time this particular word comes up as a 70% match when my source segment consists of a tag and a word "following", and one time it came up when I had a segment consisting of a tag and word "press".

The source word is in lower case, LIECHTENSTEIN in upper case. The source word had one tag or none, LIECHTENSTEIN has two. Does anybody have a sane explanation to this?

I should add that this happens when I use TE. And Liechtenstein in my TM has a corresponding translation, so I have not accidentally translated "following" or "press" as Liechntenstein in my TM.

I use Trados 2007 Suite and Windows 7.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Ines

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
French to Polish
+ ...
Crazy Trados matching algorithms... Oct 4, 2010

Burrell wrote:

Not much, you would say? So I thought, but for some strange reason this is the second time this particular word comes up as a 70% match when my source segment consists of a tag and a word "following", and one time it came up when I had a segment consisting of a tag and word "press".

The source word is in lower case, LIECHTENSTEIN in upper case. The source word had one tag or none, LIECHTENSTEIN has two. Does anybody have a sane explanation to this?

I should add that this happens when I use TE. And Liechtenstein in my TM has a corresponding translation, so I have not accidentally translated "following" or "press" as Liechntenstein in my TM.

The Trados matching algorthms are aberrant for short and/or heavily tagged segments.
The same occurs for short segments containing numbers.
It seems the tag/number weight is least two times greater than the word weight which gives at least strange results for a human.
It was discussed here.
For some kind of text (e.g. partlists), the Trados wodcount may be completely unreliable, so beware.

BTW, today I had some 70% matches like:
(bold)ESM (/bold): for (bold)Rappel :
Because in the TM I had (bold)ESM(/bold): for (bold)ESM (/bold):
You're not the only one icon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:01
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 7, 2010

That does not make much sense but at least it excludes the possiblility that I need to spend some time in a padded cell.

Cheers,
Ines

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What does the word "following" have to do with "Liechtenstein"?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search