Thread poster: Carla Lorenzo del Castillo

Carla Lorenzo del Castillo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

Hello,

I just installed Trados 7 in my computer, but when I open a Word document I don't have the Trados bar. Have any of you ever had this problem? I don't know if maybe Trados 7 is not compatible with Windows 7.

Any idea?

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
English to French
+ ...
Office version? Oct 6, 2010

With what version of Office (Word) are you working? Office 2003, 2007 or 2010?

And can you clarify what you mean by Trados 7? Do you mean SDL Trados 2007 (v. 8.x), or Trados v. 7.x, like SDL Trados 2006 or previous versions? I'm asking because a lot of askers are confusing 2007/7.x and in this case, it makes a huge difference in the answer we can give you

Annabel Rautenbach  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Which version of office do you use? Oct 6, 2010

Hi Carla

I am not a fundi, but I remember from personal experience that Trados 7 is not compatible with Office 2007. Which version of office do you use?

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
English to Croatian
+ ...
It is compatible Oct 6, 2010

.. you will have to check Word add-ins in Word.

Trados8.dotm and Multiterm8.dot must both be checked.

Depending on your Word version, you will find them under File > Add-ins. Just check these two boxes and see what happens.

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 7 Oct 6, 2010

I don't use Office 2007, but 7 (the version right after Vista). Regarding Trados, it's Trados v.7

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
No such thing! Oct 6, 2010

Carla, you must be using Windows 7, but there's no such thing as 'Office 7' — Windows 7 seems to be currently delivered with MS Office 2007, though I believe that Office 2010 is now out.

So it's quite important not to get muddled up between all these 7's!

It seems as if you are running Windows 7 with MS Office 2007 and Trados v7.

[Edited at 2010-10-06 15:23 GMT]

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Oct 6, 2010

Sorry, you're right. I'm using Windows 7 and I believe it's office 2007 though I'm not quite sure. Does this mean I cannot use Trados?

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Well, I'm no expert either, but... Oct 6, 2010

Annabel Koekemoer wrote:
... I remember from personal experience that Trados 7 is not compatible with Office 2007.

If it's any consolation, I've just given up with Office 2007 and gone back to Office XP (even under W7!)

[Edited at 2010-10-06 15:32 GMT]

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Clarity is important ;-) Oct 6, 2010

In short: You need SDL Trados 2007 (version 8.x) in order to work in the Office 2007 environment AND to process Office 2007 files. You can still work under Windows 7, but you have 2 options:

- You need to downgrade to Office 2003, or

- Upgrade your version of Trados.

I hope this helps!

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2007 Oct 6, 2010

I am definately using Office 2007. Is there a free way to downgrade my office version?

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Do you have an old disk? Oct 7, 2010

If you have an old installation disk of Office 2003, you can just install it on your computer (after deinstalling Office 2007 I take it - not sure these two can cohabit). Or they might still sell it online, but I wouldn't count on it too much.

The 'simple' solution would be to upgrade your version of Trados. However, since you haven't upgraded in many years, you will have to pay the full price AFAIK. You can always sign up for one of the TGB sales here on ProZ for a discounted price.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Trados bar in Windows 7

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search