Trados 2009 Update TM while working without confirming segment?
Thread poster: Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
German to English
Oct 6, 2010

Hello,

I'm just trying to get to grips with Trados 2009, so forgive me if this question is a bit noddy.

As I understand it when you translate a segment the TM isn't updated unless I confirm the segment. If I just type in the translation and then go on to the next segment without confirming, then the translation will not appear in the TM nor will it be shown in concordance. Is there any way that I can translate a segment and get the segment to appear in the TM without c
... See more
Hello,

I'm just trying to get to grips with Trados 2009, so forgive me if this question is a bit noddy.

As I understand it when you translate a segment the TM isn't updated unless I confirm the segment. If I just type in the translation and then go on to the next segment without confirming, then the translation will not appear in the TM nor will it be shown in concordance. Is there any way that I can translate a segment and get the segment to appear in the TM without confirming the segment, i.e. because I want to go back and proofread it later but still want to be able to see the translation in the TM in case I get some matches or fuzzies further down the line?

Thanks in advance,

Louise
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Only a confirm writes to the TM Oct 6, 2010

You need to confirm a segment in order to have it written to the TM. This is the basic way of working of a CAT tool (was like this in 2007 already).

The content of an unconfirmed segment is only stored in the bilingual file, but not in the TM.

I wonder why you would not want to confirm a segment as this will not prevent you from going back and modifying the content of the segment. We do this all the time. Modifying the segment and confirming it again will simply overwri
... See more
You need to confirm a segment in order to have it written to the TM. This is the basic way of working of a CAT tool (was like this in 2007 already).

The content of an unconfirmed segment is only stored in the bilingual file, but not in the TM.

I wonder why you would not want to confirm a segment as this will not prevent you from going back and modifying the content of the segment. We do this all the time. Modifying the segment and confirming it again will simply overwrite what was in the TM.

Walter
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Use the Review Workflow Oct 6, 2010

Hi Louise,

I think a better approach would be to confirm all your segments as you tranlsate. Then once you have completed the translation close the file and open it again for review. This time you go thrrugh and as you confirm you will see that the status of the segments change to reviewed. This allows you to change a translation, use the TM, and keep track of what you have done.

Regards

Paul

KONSTANTIN
KONSTANTIN
Local time: 00:40
English to Russian
+ ...
Yes, it's possible Oct 6, 2010

Is there any way that I can translate a segment and get the segment to appear in the TM without confirming the segment, i.e. because I want to go back and proofread it later but still want to be able to see the translation in the TM in case I get some matches or fuzzies further down the line?

Yes, Louise.
After having translated a current segment, before transition to the next one, you should select the command "Add as New Translation" from Translation menu. For convenience you can assign some key-short for this operation and work will go faster.

[Редактировалось 2010-10-06 17:24 GMT]

Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul and Walter Oct 6, 2010

Why I actually want to work this way is that when I have matches or a fuzzies I often proofread them as I go along (depending on how much editing they require). Sometimes I then don't have to proofread these matches again when doing the general proofread because I have already done it, all I have to do is read through them at the very end. I thought it would be helpful to be able to differentiate between the segments I have to proofread again and the ones that I don't by confirming some and not ... See more
Why I actually want to work this way is that when I have matches or a fuzzies I often proofread them as I go along (depending on how much editing they require). Sometimes I then don't have to proofread these matches again when doing the general proofread because I have already done it, all I have to do is read through them at the very end. I thought it would be helpful to be able to differentiate between the segments I have to proofread again and the ones that I don't by confirming some and not others. However if I do this the TM doesn't get updated and I might miss some matches that occur later.

For me personally a function whereby segments could be included in the TM without being confirmed would be helpful.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
What's the difference? Oct 6, 2010

Louise Mawbey wrote:

...For me personally a function whereby segments could be included in the TM without being confirmed would be helpful.

Hum, confirming does not do anything else than "include the segment in the TM". So, what would be the benefit of having a separate function? It would be doing the same?

If you want to distinguish proofread segments from non proofread ones, the only workaround I can see is to lock (CTRL-L) the proofread segments so that you skip them when you proofread the other ones. When you are through, unlock all segments again.

Walter

Louise Mawbey
Louise Mawbey
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Krafter Oct 7, 2010

I've just given that a quick try and it seems to be just what I'm looking for. I'll see how it works as I use 2009 more frequently. Maybe locking the proofread segments (thanks Walter) is also an option. I'll try that out later too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 Update TM while working without confirming segment?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »