Thread poster: Tony.J.A.@DT

Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
English to French
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before (I couldn't find it).

I've been working with MS office 2003 and Trados suite 2009 for a few months and now I'd like to upgrade my MS Office for 2010 (or 2007, way cheaper now, so I migt consider that instead...)

But my main questions are:

Can I instal office 2007 or 2010, even though I have my Trados 2009 Suite set-up with MS Office 2003 without any problem?

Will Trados 2009 recognize that I now have MS office 2007/2010 instead of the old 2003?

If not, do I need to unistall Trados before installing the new MS Office and re-instal Trados?

I'm asking this because when installing Trados it clearly looks for my version of MS Office and I'm afraid there might be a compatibility problem...

Thank you for your help!

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:51
French to German
+ ...
Studio 2009 works fine with Office 2010 Oct 6, 2010

No problem, you can install Office 2010 alongside Studio 2009 without any need to reinstall Studio.

Studio 2009 is fully compatible with all versions of Office, including 2010. It simply calls up Word whenever it needs it (mainly for previewing) and basically does not care whether this is going to be Word 2003, 2007 or 2010.

The problem only arose with the 2007 version because you needed to install the proper WORD template (TRADOSx.DOT or TRADOSx.DOTM) in the Word startup folder, but as Studio does not offer any Word interface anymore, this requirement has also gone away.

Walter

Tony.J.A.@DT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:51
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 6, 2010

Thank you Walter!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:51
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Multiple versions of Office in Windows Oct 8, 2010

"The problem only arose with the 2007 version because you needed to install the proper WORD template (TRADOSx.DOT or TRADOSx.DOTM) in the Word startup folder, but as Studio does not offer any Word interface anymore, this requirement has also gone away."

Microsoft has knowledgebase explaining about how to install many versions of MS Offices in Windows. Basically, install the newer versions after the older ones. Weird behaviors of Word are acceptable and you can use MS Word Interface of Trados 2007 + WorkBench [comes along with Trados Studio 2009] as being done before.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing MS Office 2007/2010 with an existing Trados 2009

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search