Local time: 22:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 6, 2010

I've just starting to work with Trados Studio 2009 so I have a few questions:

My file is .rtf

1. About working with tags. One of the lines to translate is -

Press OK to select [:ldq]Effect[:rdq].

I just copy source to target, then translate everything including the word inside tags and I have - Нажмите кнопку ОК для выбора опции [:ldq]Эффект[:rdq>]. Right?

Then I have a line -

To select options, see [:ldq][:xr "Navigating through menus" 1][:rdq] ([:xr "page[:hs]17" 2]).

I have a number of tags here. The problem is I can't translate and type inside these tags. [:ldq][:xr "Navigating through menus" 1][:rdq] - is one big tag. How do I modify it in order to translate "Navigating through menus". Or are there any ways to wrap my translation with necessary tags?

2. My client asks for the clean and the unclean translation. What does it exactly mean?

Thanks for any help!

P.S. Hope u do understand my first question =)
P.P.S. I changed "< and >" that are used in tags into [] in order for them to appear here

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:36
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Some ideas Oct 6, 2010

Judging by the fact that the file is .rtf with tags and your client wants clean and unclean files, you should probably be working with SLD Trados 2007 in Word. Unclean files are bilingual files that you get by going through a file with a CAT tool. Clean files are monolingual files (with the source text "cleaned") that the end client is probably most interested in. In Studio, the unclean file is the .sdlxliff file, and the clean file is the target generated translation. When you work with Word and SDL Trados 2007 or earlier, you have to clean the file up manually in Translators Workbench.

Oleksiy Markunin wrote:
I just copy source to target, then translate everything including the word inside tags and I have - Нажмите кнопку ОК для выбора опции [:ldq]Эффект[:rdq>]. Right?

Right. Or you can enter the target text and insert tags manually with the appropriate key combination (depending on your settings). Look this up in the Help (probably under placeables).

The problem is I can't translate and type inside these tags. [:ldq][:xr "Navigating through menus" 1][:rdq] - is one big tag. How do I modify it in order to translate "Navigating through menus". Or are there any ways to wrap my translation with necessary tags?

"Navigating through menus" here is the title of a section that is, has been, or should be translated elsewhere. The DTP application will substitute the translation automatically. What you might be concerned with is the [:ldq] and [:rdq] tags - these are quotes that are most likely not Russian (“like this”), and you might need to replace those tags with the right ones. I can't help you here, because I don't know what application this text comes from, or what the right quotes and tags would be.

Hope that helps a little,
Adam

[Edited at 2010-10-06 20:10 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Was the original a Framemaker file? Oct 6, 2010

Using rdq and ldq instead of proper quotes like „” or other for other languages looks like someone has s-tagged a mif file with wrong settings. I might be wrong of course, but knowing the source format would help here.
Otherwise the way you and Adam describe for dealing with tags is correct.

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Use CTRL-comma to transfer tags Oct 6, 2010

About 1: Whenever you have text surrounded by tags (meaning the tags appear in pairs), first type the translation of the text that is between the tags, then select this text (in the target segment) and hit CTRL-comma (this is the so-called QuickInsert function). Now select the corresponding tag and Studio will automatically insert both the start and end tag around the text you typed.

About 2: the "uncleaned version" in Studio is the SDLXLIFF file, the one you can create simply by using the 'Save" or 'Save as" command.
'Save as target' will produce the cleaned version.

Check that your client does not mean a TTX or a bilingual Word file by "unclean", in case he is not aware of the fact that you now work with Studio and not anymore with the 2007 version.

Walter

Oleksiy Markunin  Identity Verified
Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, the .pdf Oct 7, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Using rdq and ldq instead of proper quotes like „” or other for other languages looks like someone has s-tagged a mif file with wrong settings. I might be wrong of course, but knowing the source format would help here.
Otherwise the way you and Adam describe for dealing with tags is correct.

Nope, the original file is pdf

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Then the conversion went not correctly Oct 7, 2010

You shouldn't have any such tags as you describe.
The source file should be then a plain Word document (rtf is the same btw).
Being in your shoes I would have corrected the formatting in the source, stored as DOC (not rtf) and delivered this. Obviously I would clarify that with the customer, but if the source was really a PDF and was converted to RTF he shouldn't have anything against.

BTW, is the PDF file the "original" you have or was it that what the customer had?
A PDF could be easilly created out of a Framemaker file for your convenience, while the text for translation has been S-Tagged also for your convenience.

[Edited at 2010-10-07 12:07 GMT]

Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jerzy, Oct 7, 2010

Thanks for ur ideas and comments.

I have no idea whether the pdf is original or not.
Yes, the idea to format the source text is a good one, thanks!
Also, I think I'll contact my client to clarify these issues.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Look at the PDF Oct 7, 2010

When opened in Acrobat press CTRL+D.
On the first tab you may find some information about the application, which originally created the PDF.
From what you describe it will be most probably a version of Framemaker.
What you've got is a tagged Framemaker file.
Some settings (like those for quotes) were not done properly in S-Tagger.
The best way to clarify the issue is contacting the client.
Should the file you have be a covnerted MIF (Framemaker) file you MAY NOT reformat it to any extent. Even the slightest change in formatting will break conversion. So please contact your client BEFORE you do anything else.

Canada
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope, Oct 7, 2010

it says - created with Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5

Agree, BEFORE - is the key word here =))

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No original name of the file? Oct 7, 2010

Typically it says that in the field "Application" or sometimes in title or above.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with tags and other

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search