Thread poster: Francesca23

Francesca23
Switzerland
Local time: 04:26
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2010

Hello

After many requests, the company for which I translate finally decided to buy a CAT tool system. So I'm using Trados Studio 2009 since tree weeks but it is empty, we don't have any translation memory but a lot (ca. 5 years work!) of documents. Now with winalign I'm trying to fill the TM I created in Studio but I have a problem.

I create a .txt with winalign (for exemple a project with 10 documents), then I convert it in .tmw with workbench end finally I upgrade it in .sdltm. But every time I obtain a new TM!
It isn't possible to import it in the official new TM I already have in Studio?

Now I'm working with 6 TMs, the official one as "upgrade" and the others only as "enable".
It works, but I don't think it is the best solution, in particular because the number of the readable memories will always increase.

Thanks for suggestions
Fracesca

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Create or use a single TM Oct 7, 2010

and import the TMX files there.
In WinAlign instead of exporting aligned text to TXT export to TMX.
For already existing TMW files use the export function in Workbench and export to TMX 1.4b
Open the TM in Studio you wish to use for the future and wit the function Import import the content of other TMs from TMX files.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 09:26
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
TMX is an industrial standard Oct 8, 2010

You can import TMX format TM into a number of CAT tools; it is very convenient and interchangeable e.g. among Trados, Across, WordFast, DejaVue. You can also open with NotePad or other text editors [e.g. to check against any corrupted TU.]

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
TMX (the black horse) Oct 9, 2010

So, TMX file is the black horse of SDL Trados, I used to call it like that; as you can play with it between the two famous versions of SDL Trados, which are SDL Trados Studio 2009 and SDL Trados 2007.

Have a nice day!
Mohamed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 - Import many .tmw in an existing TM

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search