Is there a way to set multiple keyboard shortcuts for the same command in Trados Studio 2009?
Thread poster: kirameister
Oct 7, 2010

Hello

I'm using 3 keyboards on one machine (I know, it doesn't sound what most people do..) and switch among them depending on a given situation.

Naturally, I'm trying to assign my own keyboard shortcuts for different commands. Since keyboard layouts are rather different from one another, I thought it'd be nice to assign multiple keyboard shortcuts for one command.

In Trados Studio 2009, multiple shortcuts are assigned by default. For example, you have "Copy Source to Target" command with "Ctrl+Ins" and "Alt+Ins" by default.

I've read the Trados help manual, and it describes how to "Edit or Create a Keyboard Shortcut". But I failed to find how to set up "Multiple Keyboard Shortcuts" for one same command.

Is there such a way in Trados Studio 2009 to set up multiple (user-defined) keyboard shortcuts to one command?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I'm afraid the answer is no Oct 7, 2010

But what you can do is creating three different user profiles with different shortcuts each and utilizing them together with the corresponding keyboard.
To do so, chose Tools - Manage user profiles. This will allow you to store and load profiles.

kirameister
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Oct 11, 2010

Hello Jerzy
Thanks for commend and information.

In that case, I'd have a look at the profile settings and see how I want to fiddle around with it.

Akira K.

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:25
English to German
+ ...
There is a way to do it Jan 19, 2013

You can save the user profile to a file and the edit that file in a plain text editor. Its an xml file and contains an element called "SettingsGroup Id="ShortcutsSettingsGroup"". There you find your shortcuts. In order to add a second shortcut to a function, just change it as in this example here:

(edit: Code posted as image because I could not find how to format it to appear verbatim.)

(This is the old "Alt-+" function from Trados 2007 that also worked with "Ctrl-Alt-N", very handy on laptops.)

Then save that file and re-import it into Studio. That took a while on my computer, but it works:

I also tried the shortcut in the editor, it works like a charm.

P.S. Yet another work-around. Would be great to have that function enabled in Studio instead.

[Edited at 2013-01-19 19:59 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to set multiple keyboard shortcuts for the same command in Trados Studio 2009?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search