Studio SP3 - MT engines differences and priority?
Thread poster: Klaus Lauble

Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:45
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 7, 2010

Hi everybody,

SP3 offers 3 different machine translation engines (SDL, Google and Language Weaver). It seems like you can even activate more than one of those at a time. What is the difference between those engines in terms of translation quality for standard language combinations such as EN-DE (or DE-EN)? And how will my source text segments be processed or distributed to the engines when I select multiple MT engines? Which solution will I be presented with?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Cheers,
Klaus

Direct link Reply with quote

Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Run a few sample sentences Oct 8, 2010

That's what I did and Google seemed to be significantly better, so I only activate Google, but even then only on some texts because I find that it can be a distraction.

Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your input Mark. Oct 8, 2010

Now I experimented a bit and found that Google is at least a lot faster than the rest. I will see how useful this feature is in everyday translation work, especially if you take into consideration that you send your source texts to Big Brother Google (or SDL at that) and that this is trackable in the final files...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio SP3 - MT engines differences and priority?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search