Thread poster: Shakir Azeem

Shakir Azeem
India
Local time: 13:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
Oct 8, 2010

Hello,

I am a Tamil translator using an editor ("Kamban", extension is .kwp) that is not common. Is there a way to incorporate this into SDL Trados Studio or SDL Passalo? Or atleast, is there a way to 'add-on' a keyboard driver into Trados for a Romanised typing of Asian language (Tamil in my case)?

Let me add that I am a beginner in Trados.
What exactly needs to be done to install/use particular 'Asian-character' fonts, and toggle between the Asian & English?

I would be grateful if someone helps me go mainstream in Trados, by clearing away these initial cobwebs.

Thank you in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Sushan Harshe
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
.kwp is not supported but you may try with .txt Oct 8, 2010

Hi Shakir,

At Kamban website they have below Q&A.

Q I purchased your Kamban 3.0 at Chennai on 11.3.2000. Being an author, I find that I cannot correct the text (after getting a KWP file saved in the Rich Text Format) in the Pagemaker. Without the facility to make corrections in the Pagemaker, it would be of little use for me if work on Kamban WP. Kindly help me out. - S. GunaSeelan
A KWP 3.0 has all the functionalities of Desktop publishing and there is no need to use external Word processor for typing. However if you do have to use in other Software, you still have to use KWP to edit it. This is not a problem with KWP. The fonts encoding are such that you cannot use standard keyboard to type Tamil letters. KWP has a built in driver which decodes keyboard input to output Tamil letters.
Note: KWP also comes with 9 variations of TAM fonts which end in TW like BarathiTW, MaduramTW etc., These fonts can be used to input Tamil characters in other application using the keyboard layout provided with the package (This is the typewriter layout equivalent). These fonts are not as smooth as TAM fonts and generally we do not encourage this for Desktop publishing).

This suggests that
1] the software has its own built in keyboard layout. To my understanding this can't facilitate you to work in Studio.
2] .kwp don't looks like supported in Studio; but I think you should try using; Project Settings> File type> Text. If it works!

I can't know for what exact purpose, you use Kamban software, If you are using Studio just go office with IME Tamil. Job will be easy!

Shakir Azeem
India
English to Tamil
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the tip Oct 10, 2010

Hi Sushan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give a try with office with IME Tamil. Valuable inputs on Kamban helps me understand the issue better.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using language-specific editor in SDL Trados Studio

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search