Revising Trados 2007 translations in SDL Trados Studio
Thread poster: pbakke
Oct 8, 2010

My company is currently planning to step into the bright new dawn by upgrading from Trados 2007 to Trados Studio. First however, there are some issues we need to clarify. I hope you can help us shed some light on these.

I've not had a chance to do a great deal of testing yet, so please excuse me if some of my questions are a bit banal.

First, let me give you a quick outline of how we work.

We translate Word files from English into Norwegian. A significant number of translations are outsorced, and none of our freelancers have access to our servers. Therefore, we send them the relevant texts accompanied by updated TMs, and when we recieve the bilingual files, we then clean them up here in order to update our TMs.

Now, some of our freelancers have already got Trados Studio. We will encourage the others to upgrade as well, but there will probably be a period of transition where some of our suppliers are using Trados 2007 while we are using Trados Studio.

What do we do in this scenario? The files (both texts and TMs) will obviously need to be converted and re-converted at some stage, but what is the easiest way to do this? Bear in mind that we will need to import the translated segments into our (2009) memories.

Secondly, we have a huge backlog of translations that have not been reviewed. A major issue when we upgrade will be how to deal with revision of documents using Trados Studio, when said documents were translated using Trados 2007. The files in question are available both as (uncleaned) bilingual files and cleaned up (target language only) files.

Seeing as there are no bilingual files in Studio, we will need to change our reviewing procedure, which at the moment consists of (1) reviewing using Track Changes in Word, (2) implementing the changes in the file and (3) cleaning the revised file.

So basically what I’m asking is, how would you go about revising bilingual files translated in Trados 2007?

Helpful tips are greatly appreachiated

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 11:32
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
ฺBilingual: TTX files? Oct 8, 2010

Since Trados Studio 2009 never uses MS Word +WordFast interface anymore, unclean Word files with Trados 2007 cannot be reviewed with Studio. Or you can use WinAlign and review with Studio. In addition, Studio package you purchased contains Trados 2007, and you can use the old features along with Studio. If unclean files in Trados 2007 were in TTX format (opened/translated with TagEditor+WorkBench), you can open and review in Studio very efficiently.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:32
English
Working with your legacy files Oct 8, 2010

pbakke wrote:
What do we do in this scenario? The files (both texts and TMs) will obviously need to be converted and re-converted at some stage, but what is the easiest way to do this? Bear in mind that we will need to import the translated segments into our (2009) memories.

Hi pbakke,

There are a number of ways to handle this. If your bilinguals are TTX then you could import them directly into a 2009 SDLTM (2009 Translation Memory format), or you could clean up all finished work with 2007 tools and then upgrade the TMW or TXT Translation Memories to SDLTM format. This can be used to merge memories together from different formats in addition to simply upgrading to the new format individually.

pbakke wrote:
So basically what I’m asking is, how would you go about revising bilingual files translated in Trados 2007?

We will be releasing this month, an application through the OpenExchange that will allow you to create a word or excel document containing the source and target material from your SDLXLIFF (2009 bilingual format). The word format will allow you to review the translations using all the features of word you are used to and when you are happy you can import the changes back into the SDLXLIFF and deliver the final translations. This tool actually allows you, in one go, to generate these documents for every file in every langauge within your Project, including merged SDLXLIFF files, and then import them all back in again in one go.

If your 2007 bilingual files are TTX then you can open these in Studio and use this tool to support your workflow. If they are bilingual DOC or RTF files then your best approach is probably to work through your backlog using your old workflow and import the cleaned files into a new TM for upgrade to SDLTM as you finish them.

I hope this helps answer your question?

Regards

Paul

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SDL Preview Generator - how to import the changes back? Oct 9, 2010

SDL Support wrote:

We will be releasing this month, an application through the OpenExchange that will allow you to create a word or excel document containing the source and target material from your SDLXLIFF (2009 bilingual format). The word format will allow you to review the translations using all the features of word you are used to and when you are happy you can import the changes back into the SDLXLIFF and deliver the final translations. This tool actually allows you, in one go, to generate these documents for every file in every langauge within your Project, including merged SDLXLIFF files, and then import them all back in again in one go.

Dear Paul,

I downloaded this utility and am pretty happy with the generated bilingual files. Could you clarify however how to import the changes back once the files have been reviewed?

The "readme" file that comes with the utility SW mentions that "Translator can manually retrofit suggested changes into original document using SDL Trados Studio 2009".
Does that mean that review should be in the bilingual Word document, and then changes entered manually, or is there a way - as I understand from your explanations above - to have changes entered automatically by Studio?

Many thanks,

Aude

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
The retrofit will be in the upcoming release Oct 9, 2010

Hi Aude

I guess I can also answer your question here. The version of the Preview generator that you downloaded does not allow yet to reimport the changes made in the revision process. This feature will however be included in the upcoming version of this utility, which will then be rebaptised 'SDLXLIFF Converter'.

This enhanced version is scheduled for release through the SDL Open Exchange in the course of October.

Walter

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
retrofit Oct 10, 2010

Hi Walter,

Thank you, I couldn't see what I was doing wrong... Now I understand! That coming feature looks really interesting.

Have a great day!
Aude

MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 22:32
Japanese to English
When? Oct 13, 2010

Walter, Paul:

I am sure I am not the only one who would be very excited to hear that the import back into SDL Trados 2009 feature was working. Do we have any idea when that feature/the updated incarnation of this app will be available?

Also, there is a TTX convert/export app too. IT would be amazing if that could also import as well as export. In other words, if you could export the 2009 file to TTX and then have it brought back into 2009, even if there were formatting or anything else missing. I am guessing that is a bit more complicated.

United Kingdom
English
TTX It and SDLXLIFF Converter Oct 13, 2010

Hi Corianton,

The new SDLXLIFF Converter tool will be available before the end of this month. The exact date I'm not sure of. As we've been testing it people keep asking for it to do a little bit more, then as little bit more, and if we're not careful we'll never release it..! So, we're drawing a line under the work this week and will release it soon after.

Basically the tool allows you to export any single SDLXLIFF, merged SDLXLIFF, or SDLPROJ (so all the SDLXLIFF files in a project, including a multilingual project) as a DOCX or XLSX. The excel format cannot be imported back in with changes, but the DOCX can, and we provide two layouts; the side by side approach, and the top and bottom approach. We left the XLSX in because we have many users who like to do all their reviewing and commenting, questions etc. in Excel. What we can't do is export any file as TTX.

The TTX It tool is different. This is an application to make the creation of TTX file easier by giving you a simple window to drag and drop files or folders of files into. Then you just press convert and all the files are converted to TTX for you. It uses the 2007 toolset API so the simple rule is that if the file cannont be handled by SDL Trados 2007 then we won't be able to convert it to TTX either. It has no import capability, it is a conversion tool. But it is proving to really useful.

An interesting side effect with this tool is that for those users who only open Workbench to create a TTX file for use in Studio, it seems as though this tool bypasses the component registration that causes the loss of term recognition for some users. So, if you don't use Workbench for anything other than TTX creation then this could be a good tool to take advantage of, irrespective of how much easier the process becomes when you use it.

I hope this answers your question anyway?

Regards

Paul

pbakke
TOPIC STARTER
Legacy files Oct 14, 2010

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my opening post.

SDL Support wrote:

There are a number of ways to handle this. If your bilinguals are TTX then you could import them directly into a 2009 SDLTM (2009 Translation Memory format), or you could clean up all finished work with 2007 tools and then upgrade the TMW or TXT Translation Memories to SDLTM format. This can be used to merge memories together from different formats in addition to simply upgrading to the new format individually.

Our bilingual files are not TTX, unfortunately. We do have TagEditor as part of our Trados 2007 package, but I gather there is no way to convert bilingual word files to bilingual TTX-files.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the rest of that paragraph. What are some of the other ways to handle this? I'd be really interested to know.

pbakke wrote:

If your 2007 bilingual files are TTX then you can open these in Studio and use this tool to support your workflow. If they are bilingual DOC or RTF files then your best approach is probably to work through your backlog using your old workflow and import the cleaned files into a new TM for upgrade to SDLTM as you finish them.

This all looks fine and dandy, but doesn't help us as our bilingual files aren't in SDLXLIFF format, nor are they TTX.

Are there any plans at all to allow for importing uncleaned (bilingual) Word-files translated with previous versions og Trados, into Studio for revision?

United Kingdom
English
Bilingual Word Files Oct 14, 2010

Hi pbakke,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand the rest of that paragraph. What are some of the other ways to handle this? I'd be really interested to know.

This paragraph was referring to TTX Bilingual files and I was just giving you two ways of handling the eventual import into your 2009 memories. The other ways.. and it's probably not exhaustive if you want to go around the houses;

• clean up in Workbench to a TMW - upgrade the TMW to an SDLTM
  • clean up in Workbench to a TMW - export to TMX - upgrade the TMX to an SDLTM
  • clean up in Workbench to a TMW - export to TMX - import the TMX into an SDLTM
  • clean up in Workbench to a TMW - export to TXT - upgrade the TXT to an SDLTM
  • import the TTX directly into an SDLTM

The upgrade options allow for merging as you go, so you can select different types of memories (TXT, TMX, TMW, MDB, SDLTM) and merge then all into one new SDLTM if you like as you upgrade.

This all looks fine and dandy, but doesn't help us as our bilingual files aren't in SDLXLIFF format, nor are they TTX. Are there any plans at all to allow for importing uncleaned (bilingual) Word-files translated with previous versions og Trados, into Studio for revision?

We are looking at potential solutions for this problem. At the moment the solution for revision would be as I mentioned in the first post. You continue with your current workflow for unfinished work with bilingual word files using SDL Trados 2007 tools. Once you have finished, you then update your 2009 translation memories, again a number of ways, but I think the most appropriate would be this;

• Create or open a Translation Memory in Translator’s Workbench (TMW)
  • Clean the bilingual file(s) to populate the TMW with the bilingual content
  • Confirm Translation Memory settings to include in upgrade
  • Upgrade the TMW using SDL Trados Studio 2009

I hope this is a little clearer?

Regards

Paul

pbakke
TOPIC STARTER
T2007 files with Trados 2011? Aug 1, 2011

Revising this old thread in search of enlightenment...

So in the end, we opted not to upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2009.

Now, with T2011 on its way, I was wondering if anyone from SDL can answer me this: are any of the issues referred to upthread addressed in the new version?

Ie. given that we have a number of legacy files - bilingual, unreviewed T2007 files, is there any good reason why T2011 would be better for us than T2009?

Will we be able to open old (2007) bilingual files in T2011 for reviewing?

The Track Changes feature sounds promising btw.

United Kingdom
English
Handling Bilingual Word Files in Studio 2011 Aug 1, 2011

Hi pbakke,

Studio 2011 will handle your old bilingual word files. There is a blog article on this here:

Studio 2011 Series : The Return of the Bilingual Word File Type : http://tinyurl.com/Studio2011-bilingualword

The SDLXLIFF Converter that has been revised for use with the new Studio 2011 version also supports track changes so for reviewing these files you have several options after bringing the files into Studio.

• review in Studio and use the new track changes feature within the Studio review workflow
  • review in MSWord and use MSWord track changes to support the workflow
  • review in MSWord and use MSWord track changes imported back into Studio to support the workflow

Regards

Paul

pbakke
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Aug 2, 2011

Thank you for replying.

This is certainly an interesting development.

If I understand you correctly, this means that we can use T2011 to review - using Track Changes - the numerous bilingual, uncleaned T2007 word files we have in our backlog, and this is easily done in a straightforward fashion, ie. without having to convert/export/resort to magic.

Will there be a demo version available so that we can see this for ourselves? It almost sounds too good to be true

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revising Trados 2007 translations in SDL Trados Studio

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search